Double glazing quotes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this forum and having quite a few bits done on a house we just bought.

Double glazing quotes received the lowest of which is £5180 for semi detached house all windows including one bay. Just wondering if this sounds good !?! The company is established local with good track record.

Got two other quotes which were few grand more with bigger companies.

Sponsored Links
Any hinged doors or sliders?

Are you aware of the possible post/support difficulties with bay PVC replacements?

You are not in London I guess - I heard about a London first floor bathroom w/f replacement costing £1800.

I'm in bexley borough so greater London. The Windows are UPVC casement white. Grade A. Nothing fancy no sliders etc

Replacing some god awful old aluminium glazing which has gaps everywhere !

some more info would be handy.... how many windows , any doors , any french/sliding doors ... size of the windows approx , styles of the windows ...

There are many variables , it will be very hard for anyone to judge if thats expensive or not ...my guess from the very little we've to go on that its not a bad price....but at the end of the day it will come down to how they are fitted , try and see some of their other work if worried... a badly made window fitted well , will perform better than an extremely well made window fitted poorly

Sponsored Links
Agree with Ronnie, also ask if they're second hand for that price, there's a lot of it going around apparently!

Last edited:
Sorry about the scant info. There is fairly large bay window with 3 openings, 2 large bedroom windows each with 3 openings, 1 small bedroom window one opening, 1 hallway window one opening, 1 really small toilet window and 2 bathroom windows 1 opening each.

10 year guarantee on the Windows and grade A.

10 year guarantee will be standard ...and should have a 10year warranty from a third party company as standard too.

From what you have said that seems a good price to me

Got two other quotes which were few grand more with bigger companies.

A friend had a salesman from a large UK wide company visit and quote. He was given a verbal quote and the salesman then started into the spiel about special offers and discount if the sale was confimed that night. My friend told him straight away that he would pay 1/3 of the verbal quote as that would be the bottom line below which the salesman could not go no matter how many discounts were applied. Amazingly that was the price he paid for what turned out to be very good windows.

Thanks for the responses. It took the bigger companies twice as long to do all their bits when visiting for quotes then the smaller company. They really do try and talk you into it ! Well I told them to call me Monday and that I wouldn't be buying at the price quoted on the visit.

HouseHolder's Story about a kitchen salesman:

he arrived and wandered up and down took a few very rough measurements then said he needed a little quiet to work out the quote on his laptop.
He sat doing nothing, absolutely nothing for a couple of hours until the householder asked him to leave - he then became excited and wasted another couple of hours saying there was a lack of trust by the HH, & she owed him a sale after such disrespect.
He refused to leave until the HH, felt threatened, & called her husband.
In all he wasted hours of the HH's day, and provided no planned design or quote at the end.

Vinn.... that sounds super creepy!
I told every single salesman not to mess around and offer the lowest price they can otherwise they will be wasting their time and mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back