Double glazing, timber frames. How to use dry glaze tapes?

emw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help me out.

I've seen a few posts about using EPDM (dry glaze tapes) rather than using silicon/acrylic for seating double glazing into wooden frames.

What are the advantages of using dry glaze tape, and how is it used?
I've looked for diagrams of how to install it, but I've not found anything.

Sorry if this is a very obvious question.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How to install - Peel backing tape off and stick onto the rebate although i have seen it stapled on too :mad: , if poss bend around the corners or cut halfway through from the outside edge inwards so it bends easier, try not to have joints in the corners as water will seep past

The advantages are that it won't attack the DG seal and cause the DGU to break down prematurely i.e. steam up

Thanks for that, still a little hazy on exactly what goes where.
I've drawn what I think is right in the cross section above, can you correct me if I'm wrong?

Pink is security tape, purple is EPDM tape.
What do you put under the glazing units when dry glazing to keep them off direct contact with the wood frame (green in the image)?

So for the corners (where sides meet bottom) don't cut the tape at 45degrees to match the mitre? Just bend it or nick the edge closest to the inside of the wood frame to let it bend smoothly?

Also does it matter what the EPDM profile is?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have used them, just make sure you're happy with the glass position before pushing it onto the tape otherwise it's difficult to re-position it as they are very strong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back