Double glazing: Ventilation vs Draft Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has always bugged me:

Why go to all the bother of using modern double glazing which will give you a nice draft seal, only to then have to include vents on the frame to ensure good air circulation in order to avoid moisture problems?

Surely that's counter-productive? You're getting a seal, then opening it up again....

From the point of view of avoiding condensation build-up inside a room, surely good old drafty windows would be much more affective? ;)

Sponsored Links
I sort of see what you're saying, however it does give benefits in terms of contributing towards keeping your house warmer in winter, cooler in summer and of course noise reduction. I don't think the trickle vents are a legal requirement (other threads on here about that) however even if you have double/triple glazing without them, you'd still want to open the windows now and again to ensure good ventilation.

Suppose you're right though, if you want to ensure constant ventilation and don't want trickle vents ... keep the old single glazing as you say ;)

There is a conflict in modern times with adequate ventilation vs energy efficiency. A BCO will be the first to admit it and there is not yet a simple answer.

The thing about trickle vents is that if you need more ventilation, you can open them. If you need less, you can close them.

With draughty windows, or unvented ones, you can... errr.....

Sponsored Links
Yes JohnD, of course!

But the problem I find is that if we close the vents in our house at night because there's cold, stormy autumnal weather outside, I find we get condensation build-up by morning. Which then needs ventilation to clear.

Viscious circle!

You are surely not suggesting that vents make it worse?

No he's suggesting they must work as closing them at night leaves condensation on the windows come next moring

No, Obviously the open vents improve circulation and prevent condensation build-up.
I'm saying that closing the vents in order to keep out the cold draft and keep the room's heat in then allows condensation to build up.

Hey - maybe there's a market for me to invent a new smart home device that measures room humidity and temperature and automatically opens and closes the window vents in order to keep the levels at pre-configured settings! :idea:

If I make the device controllable via a smartphone app, everyone will want one! :cool:

I won't I'll just leave the window ajar in the evening in the colder months. Like I do now to prevent condensation.

I spoke to BC to ask if new windows to an extension needed trickle vents, he said as long as the window can be latched shut with a small gap then he would pass it without trickle vents.

Andy

Sorry Freddie, my wife has an aversion to even slightly open windows during cold months.
And has a habit of closing the vents "to keep the heat in" too... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back