Double Glazing >> What to Look Out For?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I've clicked my way through a number of topics from cracked frames to dodgy sealant.. But.. i'm looking to get double glazing fitted in the next few weeks.. and just wanted to hear from the experts (you) with regards to what's good & what's cr@p, also what should i look out for in terms of workmanship & guarantees... also many places are offering great reductions on windows such as buy one get one free type thing.. what's the pay off? UPVC Vs Hardwood frames? etc etc... many thanks. Ro.

Sponsored Links
Try asking friends & neighbours. If you live in Enfield area I could recommend a 1 man band.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
Try asking friends & neighbours. If you live in Enfield area I could recommend a 1 man band.

Yeah.. Quite near to Enfield.. Tottenham Hale!

I've also been told that new buildings regulations stipulates installation must be carried out by person or persons who are able to self-cert, something called FENSA or something??! New standards in energy efficiency etc... If the installation is not carried out by an organisation that can self-cert then when i come around to selling the house it will throw up all kinds of issues.. I've read they (Gov) can even force the removal of perfectly good glazing!!! Is your Enfield one-man-band certified etc..?

Any other suggestions such as UPVC vs Hardwood, Special gas in glazing, toughened safety glass, types of locks etc etc...? I'm really wet behind the ears on this subject & want to know what the expensive suggestions the glazing contractor is going to try & sell me actually does!

Diyisfun wrote:

Yeah.. Quite near to Enfield.. Tottenham Hale!

If you contact me I will give you his tele no, he is just about to replace my f/door. Have known him years.
Not certain how you can contact me through here, but no doubt someone will tell us.

see 13 :)

just look out for the companies that tell you to buy the downstairs and get the upstairs free
or
buy the back and get the front free + free fitting and you don't have to pay for 20 years + we will give you a free holiday if you sign up today !! :eek:

plus look out for companies who advertise using ex coronation street has beens or a freak with long hair and a beard. :evil:

If you follow my tips you wont go far wrong :D

enjoy and I thank you please

activeyaw said:
just look out for the companies that tell you to buy the downstairs and get the upstairs free
or
buy the back and get the front free

were you being ironic here? Are you sincerely suggesting to look out for these offers in a sinister sense? If so what bad experiences have you encountered with the 'freebie' offers? Or is it the opposite, & recommending to seek out the freebie deals.? Having trouble reading between the lines on this one!

cheers

NOTHING is free, if it was then why could you not ask for just the back windows as they are the free ones.

Its a sales gimmick, everthing has to be paid for, if it wasn't companies would soon go bust, who do you think is paying for the free one ? YOU ARE

it tickles me when they say, i will just ring the boss and hey presto, you get X% off

Truth is the price was inflated by (at least) x% so they can give you x% off, the other one is "we have had a cancellation" so tell me how are windows made for someone else going to fit your house?

Rotara said:
activeyaw said:
or
buy the back and get the front free

were you being ironic here? Are you sincerely suggesting to look out for these offers in a sinister sense? If so what bad experiences have you encountered with the 'freebie' offers? Or is it the opposite, & recommending to seek out the freebie deals.? Having trouble reading between the lines on this one!

cheers

I dont think I'm recommending them by the way I wrote my above reply :confused:

Nothing is free in this world :)

activeyaw said:
plus look out for companies who advertise using ex coronation street has beens or a freak with long hair and a beard. :evil:

Make sure you read this part. Then you will know what companies not to buy from :D

please note 10a

Cheers Guys,

Thanks for your advice on the 'Freebie' issue...
I don't think i was being too naive.. But I just thought that some companies do have genuine cheap offers.. although I do take the point of inflated prices to make it appear a great deal..!

All offers & deals taken into consideration I'll go for the one that leaves me with the most in my pocket for the best windows I can afford.. end of the day it's a balance I guess..

Thanks for all advice.
Ro.

I've also been told that new buildings regulations stipulates installation must be carried out by person or persons who are able to self-cert, something called FENSA or something??! !

This is an ‘Alpine Everseal’ salesman untruth; fitting windows is hardly rocket science! You can still fit yourself as long as the windows are manufactured by a FENSA registered company & stamped as such. Seek out a company that manufacture & supply to trade for the best prices (few double glazing companies actually make their own windows). All you need to do then is to get your local council building control to inspect the installed windows & issue a certificate of compliance; there is a fee.

edited to correct quote

Richard C said:
I've also been told that new buildings regulations stipulates installation must be carried out by person or persons who are able to self-cert, something called FENSA or something??! !

This is an ‘Alpine Everseal’ salesman untruth; fitting windows is hardly rocket science! You can still fit yourself as long as the windows are manufactured by a FENSA registered company & stamped as such. Seek out a company that manufacture & supply to trade for the best prices (few double glazing companies actually make their own windows). All you need to do then is to get your local council building control to inspect the installed windows & issue a certificate of compliance; there is a fee.

edited to correct quote

Hi,

I went through the same thing late last year, did a bit of research on the net about the FENSA requirements, and what constituted a good window etc, and in the end bought the windows from here:

http://www.bandmhomeimprovements.com/doubleglazing/upvcwindows.htm.

Delivered free of charge, fitted them myself over a couple of weekends, no problem, loads of guides to show you how to do it on the internet, pretty simple all in all.
Whole house (10 windows of various sizes and one front door, all leaded and textured mahogany (external) on white (Internal), with 28mm Pilkington K) for less than £3K.

Only thing I would make sure of is that the style of window is in keeping with your house/estate, and that the window aperture you specify is within the regulations for fire egress on first floor windows.
This has reminded me that I still need to get the local council round to issue the certificate though!

I also need to change my window and have done a little research on the subject. my first decision was whether to choose upvc or timber framed vertical sliding sash windows. The cost difference between the two is big, with plastic being the cheapest. Timber, in my opinion, is far better looking but requires maintenance. When you make up your mind you are halfway there.I can't recommend any installers as I will be diy-ing it. If you find a manufacturer whose windows you like, flip through some home magazines, you might ask them if they have any registered installers, and ask them to give you a quote. A minium of three quotes from different installers is also recommended. Like for like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back