double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just wanted to ask advice and hope someone can help me.

Back in October, I had some PVC double glazing installed to replace my sash windows. 95% of the properties on my road are PVC double glazed. There's nothing in my deeds to say I can't do so, and my property is not listed.

However, no sooner had I got it done, when I got a letter through informing me that my next door neighbour had applied for it, and got refused, on the basis that we are in a non-designated heritage site. I inspected the council website beforehand, and didn't find any information on this. A woman at the council said that at some stage soon they will be writing to me soon to instruct me to replace my windows to something that they deem appropriate.

When I pointed out that there were identical properties with the same double glazing to us (including the neighbour downstairs!), she said they can't do anything if it is 4 years old. Because they know when we installed ours we seem to be targeted.

My question is, is it worth us fighting the council? If we refused to replace our windows what would happen? Would they just fine us? If the fine was less than the replacement value then that would seem preferable, unless there were other repercussions.

I should add, it's quite a poor neighbourhood in general, and the few original sash windows on my street and surrounding streets are in a shocking state of repair. The woman at the council said their reasons for asking us to replace our windows are to do with improving the appearance of the town's "assets". To me, the double glazing on my street and surrounding streets look infinitely superior.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Your council will likely write you snotty letters, IMO its unlikely to go any further than some threatening letters. It would come up on a search when you come to sell which could put some buyers off. Hold your nerve!

If 95% of the nearby houses have uPVC, then just ignore the letters.

Incidentally, don't fall for the trap of applying for planning permission if they suggest this. You will pay £172 just to get a refusal, which will then put you at a disadvantage.

Thanks for your replies and advice. That's somewhat reassuring. The only other detail is that my property, and next door's which is a twin property to ours, are different in design than the other properties on my street. I think the council are claiming my property is older than the other buildings, although I'm not sure it actually is. Also, there are similar style buildings to mine on the adjacent roads, which have a mixture of uPVC and sash.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy,

According to the town's website, my road is just outside the conservation area. The road adjacent to mine (towards the town centre) is in the conservation area, and has buildings similar to mine, with a mixture of uPVC and sash windows.

Edit: I just checked the PDF document on the council's website again, and my road is definitely not in the conservation area. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure that's a good thing to do on a public forum!

endecotp does raise an interesting question though. If you do ever get that letter denabding you change the windows or apply for PP you should ask your LA where it states that UPVC is unacceptable in your particular non-designated heritage site. Even if it means applying under the Freedom of Information Act if they get funny. Please keep us informed with any news/outcome.

Hi again,

We have just received the dreaded, but expected letter demanding that we change our windows.

Interestingly, when the lady phoned me beforehand, she clearly said that the reason why my property could not have UPVC windows, and other properties in my street could, was because of it's age in relation to the others. In the letter, it states that the reason is because my property is a converted property (i.e. maisonette).

It also goes on to say that before we change our windows, we have to apply for planning permission, and pay £172. It doesn't state what windows next door have got permission for, but presumably there would be no need to seek planning permission if we copied him? Not that we intend to, unless forced to!

Anyhow, we are going to take your advice and ask where it states that UPVC is unacceptable.

Also, we have drafted a longish letter, showing how most the properties on our road, and also the adjacent road (which is in the conservation area) predominantly have UPVC windows, including the converted properties. I'm just wondering, should we keep the first letter very short, or does it not really matter?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry to hear about your window /council drama.

Did your window install company ask you about planning ? or did they just grab your hard earned cash and say nothing :cry: .

Planning rules for even the smallest of alterations is different for flats,i am afraid.It has caught me out in the past.

Exert from the planning portal site.
The planning regime for flats and maisonettes differs in many important ways to that which covers houses.

Local policy and interpretation of the rules covering changing windows in flats varies from council to council and you are advised to contact your Local Planning Authority for advice before starting work.

The actual windows could be allowed but your council could just want some payment/fee so they can issue with a piece of paper.

Best of luck :!:

Hi James. thanks for your message. The window company didn't ask us about planning, they just went ahead and did it. Maybe there's something in their small print that can't claim any responsibility? Maybe if we're forced to replace the windows we can persuade them to do us a special deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back