Double sockets how far apart ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello how far apart do double power sockets have to be ? I appear to have three together ie touching so essentially a row of 6 and someone has told me your can't have that before I push the panic button is that right and how far apart should they be ?

Sponsored Links
They don't have to be any distance apart.

It doesn't look very nice though, does it?
Much better to have an extension lead.

No it looks crap but as long as it's not dangerous I can save my cash many thanks
As has been said, there is no explicit prohibition of what you have. The only possible issue could arise if they were all near one end of a ring circuit and you plugged lots of heavy loads (heaters, kitchen appliances etc.) into them simultaneously. What sort of things are usually plugged into these six sockets?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
OK fridge freezer, dish washer, washer and dryer dryer has never been on with washer at same time it sounds shocking but these are in a sort of dining room next to kitchen and don't go off when I switch off kitchen sockets haven't had the house long plan was to knock this room into kitchen but not until next year just don't want to overload anything and never touch electrics

We put the boxes 50mm apart, which I guess leaves the accessories 40mm ish apart.

This is entirely a visual thing, you can but sockets right up to each other if you want (as you have), but as you've discovered, it looks gash

You couldn't have all those on an extension lead.
Indeed one couldn't - but, to be fair, you're the only one who has mentioned extension leads :)
The only time I have seen three sockets next to each other is for the entertainment appliances.
Indeed - or sometimes in workshops etc. However, going back to what I wrote earlier, if the six sockets are supplying the appliances listed, if they were fairly close to an end of a ring, the arrangement could be said to be non-compliant with regulations, in as much it would be hard to be sure that no part of the wiring would be subjected to 'overload' for a substantial period of time. Given all the margins etc., I'm not suggesting that there would be any true 'danger', but there could arguably be a theoretical issue in relation to regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Yes think it was TV DVD etc but we need it for our white goods at minute didn't realise that could all run off extension

Indeed one couldn't - but, to be fair, you're the only one who has mentioned extension leads :)
Which is why I thought I should correct/clarify what I had previously said. :whistle:

I previously said it because of my mistaken assumption that it would be supplying entertainment equipment when a neatly concealed extension lead looks far better than six sockets in a line with six flying leads going to the appliances.

Don't start superfluous posts until the OP's query has been satisfied.

Multi sockets and extension leads should be avoided if possible, they are prone to overheating and it's becoming difficult to get any of 'quality':rolleyes:

DS

Great thanks for all your posts as they were in a dining room if they were on a spur and not in a ring would that matter ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back