downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum hope someone can help.

Replacing my kitchen and whilst the ceiling is being replaced decided to put downlights in. My question is this. Is there a minimum distance the lights must be from existing wiring in the ceiling space and does 5 x 50w sound too much for a kitchen 4m square..? forgot to say will be using mains voltage 60min fire rated from tlc.

Thanks in advance
Gordsky

Sponsored Links
you got stocks in a CFL company Crafty? you seem to pimp them whenever possible..

CFL's are also a lot more environmentaly unfriendly when disposing of them..
theres phosphorous, and mercury in them for a start..

The light output from CFL's is rubbish!
We do a lot of cellar conversions and have on many occasions used both 11watt and 9watt versions with both being complained about due to poor light output. This more than often leads to the customer requesting them to be replaced with 50watt halogens.

On the other hand, they're extremely economical so there's always going to be a trade-off.
If using CFL's you may require more fittings than if going with halogens.

Sponsored Links
GaryMo said:
The light output from CFL's is rubbish!
We do a lot of cellar conversions and have on many occasions used both 11watt and 9watt versions with both being complained about due to poor light output. This more than often leads to the customer requesting them to be replaced with 50watt halogens.

On the other hand, they're extremely economical so there's always going to be a trade-off.
If using CFL's you may require more fittings than if going with halogens.
Do the customers give them chance to warm up properly? The ones I have give a very clean even light with wide beams, but take 3-4 mins to warm up to full brightness. If anything i find i could do without one of the 3 lights due to the wide output. They get left on all night so long warm up isnt a problem for us, but i understand for some it might be.

Yes, generally it's days before we get back to change the lamps for halogens so I they would have had chance to get used to them.
Which brand do you use? Ours (IIRC) are Megaman.

I can see the benefit for living area's but not for bathrooms, kitchens or stairways due to the long warm up time.

GaryMo said:
Yes, generally it's days before we get back to change the lamps for halogens so I they would have had chance to get used to them.
Which brand do you use? Ours (IIRC) are Megaman.

I can see the benefit for living area's but not for bathrooms, kitchens or stairways due to the long warm up time.
Ours are in the bathroom. :LOL:

And they are Megaman. I tried to video the lights starting just now, but they are warm already. I prefer the megamans to halogens. They're great :D

May be worth considering the CFL, but can anyone answer the original question re wiring distance and number of lights....

Cheers

5 lights will be plenty, and when you put CFLs in them, at full brightness it'll be even better. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back