Downpipe drain connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to get the single storey kitchen roof and guttering replaced, and was wondering about connection of the downpipe. The roof previously had the downpipe at the other end, but when the previous owners built a conservatory this was moved. Half the roof still drains onto the conservatory roof, but half drains down the pipe.

As the manhole for the combined sewer is very close, can I break out some of the concrete, put a in ground hopper with a pipe coming through the brick side of the man hole? Is there a better way?

Will this need building control?

Thanks

20160821_082254.jpg20160821_075947.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Trapped gulley (hopper) is correct method, but you will need Building Control approval to connect to the drain, and to check the work.

Change the down pipe for a plastic pipe, fit an access fitting just above GL, and come down into a larger diameter slow bend that will break through into the manhole.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the correction. I apologise for giving bad information.

Thanks for the responses. As I am going to get building control involved in some other things, I will add this to the list.

I assume after the trap, the pipe into the side of the chamber can just come in straight, without having to be angled around to face the flow?

If just rainwater, then yes. A foul drain must be sweep into direction of flow, to avoid making a mess in the chamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back