Downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone could give some advice.

After heavy rainfall lately our guttering to the rear of our garage has been overflowing. Thinking it's just blocked at the top of the downpipe where it bends took it apart to clean, but nothing there - completely clear. I therefore took the whole downpipe out and realised that the bottom of the pipe only goes about a foot or so underground, which does not lead in to a mains drain off pipe. The water would appear to be going straight in to the ground!!!. There could be a mains drain off pipe further down, but after digging a couple of feet I haven't come across it yet!. I did actually think it quite strange a while ago when I noticed the shingle covering the area around the pipe seemed to be black and dirty, but didn't really think too much of it.

Surely there must be a drain off pipe, shouldn't there be?. Do I keep digging?. I think the house is about 18 years old. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally go to soakaway approx' 4m away from the building, either put one in or a water butt.

Masona - thanks for reply.

Excuse my naivety - "Soakaway"?... Is that easy to put in?.

Thanks

Soakaways collect surface water and are usually suitable for roof areas less than 100m2. See this for more info.

The most common soakaways is to dig approx' 1 cubic metre hole in the ground and away from the building about 4m. Put in 10mm pea shingles up to the first 300mm then bigger stone or broken brick and so on. The idea is to take the rain quickly from the top to bottom.

Sponsored Links
inch and a half clean stone (no dust) polythene over stone then soil back on top .. not sure but seem to recall soakaways as minimum 5 mtr from house , best check!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back