DPC on garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've bought a new build house last year with detached garage. One wall of the garage is next to a public path that the builder said they would plant up in the spring.

They have just added soil and plants, and a raised path. The result is that the soil is now at the same level as the DPC, and very slightly higher in places - previously the ground was a good 150mm plus below the DPC.

I've mentioned it to the builder and they don't seem that fussed at all.

Will this cause me a problem with moisture being drawn up into the wall of the garage? What are the building regs regarding a DPC in relation to the ground?

If it is a problem, what should I be saying to the builder?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
A DPC is usually 150mm up from the external ground level.

If the new works are higher / level than the existing DPC then yes it's virtually useless. Could they not have excavated prior to the works to ensure the DPC integrity wasn't compromised & thereby maintaining the 150mm level difference?

Thanks for the advice

I think I will just dig it out myself. Only problem is that there are nice flowers and things planted in it as the path runs about 6 inches from my garage wall and they have planted in the 6 inches between the wall and the path, so it'll look rubbish after i've dug it.

I guess your saying it's that or a damp garage wall?

Sponsored Links
I think I will just dig it out myself. Only problem is that there are nice flowers and things planted in it
Doesn't sound like they are yours to dig up.

Write to the builder and/or developers, outlining your concerns, and ask them to confirm in writing that you will not have any damp problems because of what they did and/or that if you do they will remedy them at their expense.

Although a dpc should be 150 above ground level, that is to stop splashing upwards of rain when it hits a hard surface, eg macadam or paving.

With soil, it's less likely to splash upwards, and scraping the soil back maybe an inch or so below the dpc would suffice?

Having a similar dilemma myself, the 150mm clearance is not just for splash clearance, water can track upwards along the brick face, especially when its in permanent contact with the wet, in your case the wet soil. The brick surface needs to be open to air, building regs state 150mm, and so the builder has breeched the regs, speak to the building control for your area they will advise one way or the other. IMHO, you should get it sorted now, the damp might not take effect for a while, but it will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back