DPM and Adhesive for solid wood floor on concrete + bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 35 year old concrete floor (36 sq m) with lino tiles stuck down with a black substance I assume is bitumen. The layer of bitumen is very thin (looks like shiny black paint) and small spots of concrete show through in some spots. I am pulling up the tiles (they pop right off) and will lay down solid oak plank flooring. I would like to put the new floor down with adhesive as I don't like the feel and sound of a floating floor.

The concrete is dry (to the touch), level and sound. However, when I laid a sample of the new oak floor on the concrete and checked it after a week, it had bowed slightly which has scared the $#!/ out of me.

My plan is to use Sikabond Rapid liquid damp proof membrane first, then an adhesive like Sikabond T54 (flexible).

So the questions are:

- How risky is this? If I make the dpm too thin (or too few coats) will I end ruining the wood and having to pull it up in a month?

- Is the product/brand choice (sikabond) ok or are there better alternatives? Don't mind paying a bit more for peace of mind.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back