Draft under the upstairs floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a 1960s semi and was changing the downstairs light fittings when I felt a draft coming through the ceiling, connected the light fitting and thought no more of it.
No the colder weather is settling in I have found that in the airing cupboard upstairs that has no carpets fitted just floorboards there is a draft coming up through the boards.
Any ideas where the draft is likely to be coming from?

Its usually not an issue but as I say now the weather is colder when upstairs you can feel the cold through the carpet, I was thinking its coming from the cavity where there are possibly electrical cable or waste water pipes been drilled through between the ground and first floor.

Don't really want to be ripping carpets and floorboards to find its a waste of time.
One other place I have considered is the kitchen area where we have halogen downlights, the kitchen area is cold as its part of the flat roof extension and we often get draft coming through the downlights on the flat roof and into the kitchen, just thought that maybe this draft is then being sucked up through the kitchen downlights on the original kitchen side and into the house.

Sponsored Links
its a sign of good ventilation. This is normal and a good sign as it stops condensation etc from roting your boards. To stop the draft blowing through the board gaps you need to over board the floorboards with plywood.

Thanks Matt.
So its a case of leave well alone then, was thinking of fitting new carpets with some good quality underlay.

ye you can do this but you will find that you will get black lines where the underlay joins ( the dust getting pulled through ) You can get around this by taping the joins , but then the dust will move to where the underlay is cut into the gripper! to get around this you need to put paper felt down or 'plywood' ! But then you will get dust mark around the edge of the room ! To stop this you need to seal the bottom of the skirting board to the sub floor!

Sponsored Links
Matt out of curiosity where is this draft likely to be coming from? My parents home same year built, cavity walled etc has exposed floorboards in 2 of the bedrooms up stairs and no draft.
At the moment exposing and sanding my boards is not an option due to the amount of draft it would create in the room.

as it's not a ground floor, there shouldn't be a damp prob.

if it was mine I would be stuffing loft insulation around the perimeter of the room by taking up the edge floorboards. It will avoid black staining too.

draught is probaby getting in where joists are loose in the inner leaf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back