DRAIN PLANS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having some drainage problem and i cant locate the manhole is there some were i can view the plans or some thing like that the house is made around 1900 and is in north london

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
shouldnt i? need to find it incase of a blockage all my neighbours have one mines probably burried sum wer but cant locate it

I got plans from Yorkshire water for my house, but it didnt actually show anything on my property, despite there being a manhole with a branch from the drain in the alleyway. I have a feeling it only shows the main drain from 100 years ago, and any alterations which have been notified to them since. Some houses on the plan had drains running to them, some didnt.

Get digging! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Most drainage records will show mains drainage and not private/individual drains. Even if there were records, they're not 100% accurate. Your best bet (as mentioned above) is to do some exploration for yourself.

Metal detector - or camera survey :idea: - seriously , if you get a survey done ( which will tell you condition of the drains too) let us know the price . I thought about investing in some kit and offering the service myself ;)

To the OP. If the property was built pre October 1936, (looks like yours was!), and the drain serves more than one property, then the drains are the Water Authority's responsibility. You only have responsibility for the section(s) of pipe from your property to the point where it converges with the pipe from another property.

You may not have a manhole on your property. If all the neighbours have one then its likely you do, if not, there may only be chambers at intervals along the line. I wouldnt worry too much, as mentioned, it may likely be technically Thames Water's problem.....

hmm but thames water goes its not there problem that i cant find the manhole what about the local building control would they have any plans?

thanks

Quote Thames Water "The Public Health Act 1936". Remind them your property was built some 30 years prior to that, and they have a legal obligation to maintain any shared drainage system, they dont like it as it costs them money....

It may be worth speaking to Environmental health at the council for further advice, they may be able to put some pressure on Thames. I would doubt if any drawings are still available, if they are, chances are Thames may have them. Drains of that era typically took the effluent from an outside W.C. and a kitchen gulley. With the advent of internal bathrooms, often they have been changed about, and manholes added.

Normally your manhole will/should be located in the same position as your neighbours. If theirs are surrounded by soil, you could use a garden folk to dig down until your hear the clang of metal or if their manhole leads into your garden then a camera survey could be done.

Andy

I did wonder about the manhole position Andy, but if its anything like my street, the main runs parallel with the street at the rear, and each property has (had) 2 connections in a 'half herringbone' arrangement, one serving original outside W.C., the other the kitchen gulley. Manholes have been added over the years as people have fitted internal bathrooms etc, so all are in different positions..... (I was greedy, and installed 3! :LOL: )

The only original manhole I know of here, is at the end of the terrace where the pipe turns 90deg to the street. I didnt want to confuse the OP if he does have a manhole but its nowhere near the same point as the neighbours!!!! Think CCTV might be the answer, they'll see what the pipework layout is if nothing else!

Just because the house is 100 years old doesn't mean to say the current drains are. Our street was only connected to the main sewer 50 years ago, before that each house (most Victorian) had it's own tank. The ones at the bottom of lane still do. If you call up the council or water board if the sewer blocks the only interest they take is to pass the buck to the other.

Getting the environment agency involved is a bit of a risk as they could just end up sticking the bill to all the people who live on the street and use the sewer.

What makes it more complex is the old tanks were at the back of the houses, the 'new' sewer under the street to the front. Trying to find where they intercepted and laid the new drains from surface features just isn't possible.

As recommended, get one of the drainage companies to come out and use their fancy equipment to take a look. They aren't as expensive as you think, just call round and you should get prices over the phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back