Drainage for brewery advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Im currently planning the drainage for my new brewery and I need a bit of advice on drainage.

I have attached a drawing to show what im trying to do

I have 2 options

1 run the pipe work out the front and connect into the main drain - this means that we will have to pay southern water £277 just to connect to the sewer (not including the cost of any work) and as the manhole/pipe run is about 2m deep this looks like a lot of digging and expense

2. Run the pipe work over to the existing toilet outlet and tap into that - this out let is a vertical one that sticks out of the floor

if plan 2 is OK then what would be the best way to connect into the vertical waste pipe

any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated as we are trying to get our business of the ground on a bit of a shoestring budget

Cheers

Jon

Jon
brewery drainage option 2.jpg
brewery drainage idea 1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Plan 2.... If the pipe from toilet to main drain became blocked then sewage from the toilet would flow back to the liniar drain and flood the floor. On hygiene grounds this would close the brewery unitl the floor was sanitised. Product ( beer ) in production and that stored would most likely have to be condemned.

That is almost a carbon copy of our brewery, we ran a linear drain in a large L shape to the edge of the corner block, then into a trap and a short connecting pipe under the floor into the existing stack. Personally I would avoid excavating outside of the building as reinstatement could be an issue in the carriageway.
Also, you might want to check the options for relevelling the floor to slope into the channel before you have the equipment in place. We recently tried self levelling compound with limited success, the slope is there but the compound is weak resulting in the waterproofing pealing away from the surface.
From experience, drainage can be a real issue for a brewery if the slopes arent correct, both floor and drain.

Sponsored Links
Hi mr moo

thanks for the advice, where about are you based? we are down in Hampshire. any chance i can send you a private message and have a chat with you

cheers
jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back