Draining hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm an electrician and getting several jobs where elements require replacement. Currently use good old gravity to drain them or sometimes a pump that fits on your drill. I think its time i bought a decent electric pump to speed the process up.
Can anyone recommend an electric pump or any other ways to speed the process up.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So you want to be faster. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. More efficient. O.K.

Top entry, no problem. Only a couple of litres to drain.

Bottom/side entry, can be trickier.

Gate valve inoperative/letting by, draincock sludged/washer stuck, immersion well stuck with 25 year hardened Boss White, (and remember most element replacements will be on aging cyls), risk of wrecking cylinder (1 in 20?) and you want to be faster and slicker?

Gravity is your friend: syphon through top boss with 15mm copper with a 90" pulled bend onto suitable hose.

Don't aspire to be the fastest gun the the West.

Sponsored Links
How predictable were these responses.. I should never say I was a spark.

Is there no quicker way then Syphoning?

Gravity is your friend: syphon through top boss with 15mm copper with a 90" pulled bend onto suitable hose.
So do you mean remove the pipe from the top of the cylinder and Syphon out from there as oppose to using the drain valve?

He surely does - which is fine if the top connector is a straight one - many have a bent one held in with boss white and hemp.

Most gate valves on the cold feed are higher than the cylinder so turn off gate valve,undo the lower nut and push a hose pipe down the pipe to the bottom and syphon...simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back