Draining Sealed Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is in the right section, apologies if not.

I have 5 radiators in total in my house. 3 upstairs (single skin) and 2 downstairs (double skin).

I have a Ravenheat combi boiler. I'm not 100% what the model number is but I can find it if needed. Basically the 3 rads upstairs (closest to the pump) are always piping hot when the heating is on. The one is the living room is warm (ish) but has lots of cold spots and its a big rad. The one in the kitchen which I presume is the end of the line is never hot, in fact it barely even gets warm. I have tried bleeding and balancing the rads. This has improved the living room a bit but still nowhere near as hot as upstairs.

I have been advised to take off the living room radiator and jet wash it out, same for the Kitchen one and see if that helps shift some sludge. I have also been advised to drain the whole system and re-fill from scratch.

Question is; should I jet wash the rads before I drain the system or is that a waste of time if i'm going to drain the system?

Also both the rads downstairs have drain cocks fitted. Does it matter what one I drain from?

Will draining the system and/or jetting the downstairs rads solve my heating problem?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Drain before you jet, you'll probably need to drain from both drain cocks, sounds like you could still do with turning the upstairs lockshields down a bit though

Drain before you jet, you'll probably need to drain from both drain cocks, sounds like you could still do with turning the upstairs lockshields down a bit though

I did turn them down again after balancing, if I turn them anymore they will be shut!

Is the lockshield valve on the inlet pipe of the rad? (just a general question)

Will draining get rid of any sludge?

Thanks for your reply. :)

Hi all

Is it possible that by draining down the system I will remove sludge or will that only be removed by jetting out the rad?

If I turn off the boiler at the electric will that be it shut off and ready to drain?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
s it possible that by draining down the system I will remove sludge or will that only be removed by jetting out the rad?

you will remove SOME but flushing the rad will remove MORE

If I turn off the boiler at the electric will that be it shut off and ready to drain?

yes ;)

So is it best for me to drain down the system, remove the rads and jet them out, connect everything back and re fill while adding some anti-corrosion to a rad?

Thanks

personally i would still put some cleanser in and let it flow for a couple of weeks then drain

refill

drain

refill and then add an inhibitor before you fill ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back