DRAINING SYSTEM TO FIT NEW TOWEL RAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create new pipe work in the bathroom for new towel rad linking off my existing rad.
I have a condensing combination boiler fitted in the next bedroom.
Does anyone know if the whole system has to be drained down or could I close off the upstairs rads and just lose the water in the 15mm pipe connecting the rads when the pipe is cut.. I'm going to get all the pipework ready and connect with compression joints at the end.. Any other ideas would be of help.

Sponsored Links
I am certainly not an expert though i have moved a couple or rads. If i were you i would drain your syestem down if you are altering the pipework as a mishap can cause water damage, you cannot sweat wet pipes anyway.

Just done this myself too, you can get away with only part draining but tbh you might as well just drain the whole lot and stick a bottle of inhibitor in when you re-fill (the blanking caps on the towel rad will be the easiest way to add this). I used pre-soldered "Yorkshire" joints, I think they look better than the compression joints though the push fit copper joints B&Q had in looked almost as small and tidy as the solder joints. A cheap blow torch was 10 quid and bottle of flux was 5 quid and it was really easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back