Draining Towel Rad in Hot Water system?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post, but I've used the forum for advice before.

My heated towel rail has developed a leak (the slow drip type) and needs to have the valves replaced.

It is not part of the central heating circuit, it comes on when the hot water is heating the cylinder. It's a closed :)?:) system (expansion vessel etc).

So, my main question is can I easily drain this part of the system without having to drain all the radiators too?

None of my radiators have draining points so I'm guessing there's one lurking in the cupboard where the boiler is housed.

For a two bed flat, there's pipes EVERYWHERE!

Sponsored Links
Afraid not the same water circulates the rads as the cylinder coil, just that the flow pipe is controlled to send water where required, the return side will always be connected to both and commoned before the return to the boiler.

Grrr... None of the Rads have a drain fitted. I'll have to rummage under the boiler as it's in a low down cupboard, it may well be the lowest point in the system. If not, could I (in theory) use the filling loop to drain? Taking into account the non-return valve of course!

Find a small rad, turn off both valves crack the rad connection and drain the rad into containers (ice cream, roller tray or similar) average size rad will fill about two buckets 3/4 full.

Lots of old towels and some plastic (bin bags are fine) required, A bit of tin foil around the pipe can be used to funnel the water where you want it to drip.

Then cobble together something to fit a hose to the valve turn on and drain, remember to fit a drain valve before you fill up again!

Oh dear! told you all those trade secrets may have to shoot you now! ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back