Drains in my footings!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing the base work for a conservatory and on the last section have found the following...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36052596@N05/3643818710/

I've read various bits on this forum about compressible material around drains in footings etc, but is that when they are just crossing at 45 degrees? Could I do that in this case.

I plan to replace the drain pipe (the on one the left) and replace it with plastic, (1) because it's going to be much easier to dig the footing to the correct depth and (2) it's broken at two of the joints.

Any help gratefully recieved.

I hope the picture work OK - I've never used piccies before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36052596@N05/3643817166/

Sponsored Links
Never touched drains before but yes it does look like it needs re routing so its not in the way, preferably to the outside of the conservatory..

The rain water drain will have to be re-hashed so that it runs down the outside of the new footing.

The other visible pipe running through the foundation at 90 degrees can be lintelled over.

I would also be interested to know where that svp is going. :?:

Sponsored Links
I was hoping you'd make an appearance Noseall.

At the moment I've just replaced the clay pipe with plastic and connected up just in case it rains tonight as I didn't want the footing flooded with the cut off end discharging straight into my nice shiny new hole!

In the back of my mind I was very tempted to leave it there, get some rebar and strengthen the footing with it, wrap the new pipe in fibreglass and hope all would be well when it was filled (next weekend hopefully). Perhaps I need to think again - more digging!

The new rain water pipe connects to the cut end of the old pipe into what has turned out to be about another 18" of clay pipe and then ends - presumably into a soak away. Will this be OK, the footing being only 18" way from the edge of the footing?

The SVP I know for a fact goes left from where you can see it in the picture for about 18" and then turns 90 back towards where the picture was being taken from as there's a deep inspection chamber about level with where I was standing to take the photo. All these pipes are definitely outside the footing.

Hey - I was just thinking. It would be much easier to just route the rainwater pipe straight into the SVP below ground adjacenet to the wall wouldn't it. Who would ever know?.......

Hey - I was just thinking. It would be much easier to just route the rainwater pipe straight into the SVP below ground adjacenet to the wall wouldn't it. Who would ever know?.......

we would!..............and we would tell on you ;)

And I thought you sounded like a nice chap, but your latest thought puts you with typical conservatory installers :rolleyes:
Wait till conservatory's are covered by building regs :LOL:

Hey guys - it was only a thought!

I'll do it properly - honest - will even take some pictures to prove it!

You've made me feel really bad now, particulaly with the thought of all that extra digging and barrowing. Not to mention probably another £140 skip that'll be required!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back