Draughty brand new windows and balcony door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

March last year I've had new pvc windows and door installed. Flat was in process of being redecorated and we really only noticed the problems when it started to get really cold around December. I've noticed a lot of cold draught coming from around the balcony door frame and window seals. I have heating on full and only able to get 19-20 degrees inside the room, 7-8 degrees right next to the balcony at night! I had to tape around the windows to stop at least some draught coming in ad I can feel it on my neck sitting on the sofa. (See attached pictures)

2015-03-13.jpg
20160326_143706.jpg
20160326_143730.jpg

I've contacted the company via email twice, once in December, and again on January to have them come and look at it with no answer. Finally after few phone calls I managed to have someone to come around and have a look, unfortunately all he was able to do was to replace the silicone on the outside of the frames. He said that this should help. Obviously it didn't as the problem is elsewhere. Since then they have been avoiding coming around, telling me that they have no one to send and I should wait patiently. Week ago on Friday I was told that someone will call me in the afternoon to arrange the visit, nothing until now.

Who do I contact now? Fensa is not interested as there is no structural damage, The Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF) is not interested as the company is not a member of their scheme, I've tried to find RICS surveyor to come and assess the windows to no avail.

Where do I go from here? I've paid £3500 for windows and doors that perform much worse than the old ones. I'm unable to use my living room due to discomfort.

Thank you
ChapeL

Sponsored Links
I think Fensa now demands that every company has an independent assessor for complaints now, You could ask about that. I think you have to pay about £150 to get the ball rolling (it prevents frivolous claims and it costs the company more) everyone then has to abide by the assessors verdict. This only came into effect this year though so may not apply.

Complaints on their Facebook and twitter pages will show them up a bit.

Only other option really is small claims court but hopefully just the threat of it will bump them into action.
Send a recorded delivery letter stating that they have 4 weeks to fix the problems or you will have no choice but to get someone else to come and fix or replace them, After which you will be recovering the costs from them.

Hi Gazman16,

Thank you, unfortunately Fensa is no go, tried to talk to them already. I'm having difficulty to get someone in and provide written report, no one seems to be doing this kind of service. I don't mind paying, just need to have it sorted. It's very windy today and it feels like the balcony door is wide open, so much draught coming in, its unbearable :(

Sponsored Links
You probably have two options. Continue to seek remedial repairs/compensation from the original fitters, or cut your losses to an extent and Google 'UPVC window repairs London' and maybe seek 2-3 quotes/opinions from other companies as to a) what's causing the issue and b) how much it'll cost to put right. Putting aside the fact the original fitters have been cack, if the cost to rectify seems reasonable, then as I say cut your losses and get them repaired by someone else.

Or, although you obviously shouldn't have to do this, if you are reasonably handy and know where the drafts are coming in, maybe determine if thicker gaskets and/or aftermarket draft strips would help and, if yes, buy and fit yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back