Draughty front upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into my new home and have no chap to help with my home improvements. My front door is is upvc with glass from top to bottom, so it is very cold. I have recently bought a curtain pole to fit at the top of the door and there is a thin batten fitted over the door, I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything to help with fitting the rail. There isn't a lot of room at each side of the door, approx 5" either side. I am aware that it will be difficult to open the door with the curtain against it. I have found I could have bought a rail which fastens to the door and the curtain moves with the door, but I spent £20 for my rail and I have broken the packaging and thrown part away, so I will not be able to return it.

Do you think fitting further battens over my thin one would work or suggest anything else?

I am looking forward to any suggestions.

Thank you :cry:

Sponsored Links
What size is the batten, Sharon? If its say 15mm thick by 50mm high it'll hold the curtain pole ok......obviously when opening the door the curtain shouldn't restrict the door opening too much, but I think you'll be fine with that.
John :)

Hi John

Thank you for your reply, you are right, I have the same measurements.

I did have a curtain rail over the front door in my last house and it was in a similar position, it had about 2" space at the side of the door for the curtain to sit while opening the door. Every time I opened the front door, the curtain would drag and a wooden curtain ring would break each time. Granted this door has a little more room either side.

Maybe I should invest in a light weight curtain, but would this stop the draft.

Thanks for your advice I will give it a try and fit it, I need to invest in a saw to cut it to size first, but I will let you know.

Sharon

If its drafty it should be an easy adjustment needing only a few screwdrivers and Allen keys.
Can you show some pics of where abouts the draft is coming from and the locking points on the door and frame.

Sponsored Links
Sharon, I don't know if you've considered it at all,but I would suggest a composite door be installed if you are looking for the best thermal efficiency. I had one 18 months ago from Solidor and I had to turn down my heating! No drafts, and looks lovely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back