Draughty upvc window - adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last nights strong winds exposed a ill fitting double glazed upvc window. One corner of the opening window does not seal against the rubber hence the draught.
Is there a web site or any info available on the correct way to adjust to fit properly. Are there adjusters (i cant see any?) or do I remove and refit the unit using new screw holes to tighten the window into the frame on closure???

Sponsored Links
beefster said:
One corner of the opening window does not seal against the rubber hence the draught.
I don't know if you can, if you can go outside of the window, is there a movement when pushed in?

type of adjustments available to you will depend on what sort of window you're referring to i.e. casement, tilt & turn, sliding sash etc. most double glazed units do have at least one form of adjustment, can you post a pic of the window and indicate where it's not sealing properly?

whatever you do, don't start major work i.e. taking opener off and drilling new hinge holes etc ... will almost certainly end in disaster unless you know for sure what you're doing.

Hi All,
Apologies, I don't mean to hijack the post but I think I'm also having the same issue here. I have just completed on a flat and found that one of the windows is having a similar problem except mine seems to be the whole of the back of the window rather than a corner. Please look at the attached pictures and advise if there is a fix for this?

I've managed to get it to close better by literally hanging out the window and punching the back in which i don't intend on doing again as my flat is on the second floor.

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
can you post a few pics of the window open showing both the handle side of the frame(not the opening bit but the blocks that the window sits in and also the hinge/runners when the window is open
reason i ask is different profiles use different locators and mushrooms or push bolts etc to secure
it could be as simple as a quick adjustment but so many different profiles out there its hard to advise without seeing what you have

also look real close around the inside of the window opening and look for printed text which will tell us the profile of the frame
ie rehau, profile 22 etc

can you post a few pics of the window open showing both the handle side of the frame(not the opening bit but the blocks that the window sits in and also the hinge/runners when the window is open
reason i ask is different profiles use different locators and mushrooms or push bolts etc to secure
it could be as simple as a quick adjustment but so many different profiles out there its hard to advise without seeing what you have

also look real close around the inside of the window opening and look for printed text which will tell us the profile of the frame
ie rehau, profile 22 etc

Hi easyt,
Many thanks for your help. I have uploaded more pics showing the hinges as requested. The profile on the frame is:

Profile 22 7707 6 2891402 BS7413 2002

I hope this means it's possible to fix this issue.

If the gap is on the hinge side the top hinge is most likely worn and you will need to replace the hinges.

As Browney says its the hinge not locating properly, change it like for like, looks like a easy clean egress type of hinge, might as well get a pair and replace both.

The problem is the lug at the end of the hinge part thats attached to the opener is not locating in its keep which looks plastic and once its cut a groove it will always take the easier route outside of the keep.

Sorry for the thread hijack :D

I don't suppose anyone could tell me the name of the plastic ramp/wedge type thing in the middle of the frame on image number 5 posted by thecrater?

One of my windows is closing snugly at top and bottom where the hinges are but in the middle where this little plastic ramp is there is a gap - it's as if the plastic is a little worn but I don't know its name to get a new one

Cheers

In both cases its your friction stays ie hinges that have failed/worn out.

I notice somebody said change one,unless you can find the exact same hing you should ALWAYS change both as the opening arc is different from one hinge manafacturer to the next and if you mix them you will find the window opens unevenly or even binds in the open position.
The repair involves removing the opener to replace the hinges which come in two stack hieghts and as standard/ restricted/easy clean/egress.

My advice....get a local repair man in.
AL

Sorry for the thread hijack :D

I don't suppose anyone could tell me the name of the plastic ramp/wedge type thing in the middle of the frame on image number 5 posted by thecrater?

One of my windows is closing snugly at top and bottom where the hinges are but in the middle where this little plastic ramp is there is a gap - it's as if the plastic is a little worn but I don't know its name to get a new one

Cheers

They dont normally ware out what tends to happen is the wedge on the opener closes the wrong side of the frame receiver and pushes the window away,to check this take one side off and see if it closes then.
Or as its a dry fit sometimes its a heavy ressistance and doesnt sit fully,try oiling them.

If you cant find what you need pinch one of a window that closes properly without one.
AL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back