Drawing review

Is something expected to change with planning permissions?

It almost invariably does, because the jobs-worths at the local planning dept have to justify their existance. They look at your plans to see not how good they are, but what they can criticise on them.

What they will do then is write to you 1 day before the time for a decision, asking you to amend the plans. Of course you won't be able to do that, so they will invite you to withdraw them and make a new submission with amended plans. They do this to make themselves look very busy, when in fact they are just wasting everybody's time and your money.

Sponsored Links
How many times will people put up with the batting back and fourth of the whole planning drawing thing before they will pay a professional?

And this is even before B'regs has been explored! :eek:

GET A PRO' IN. :rolleyes:

How many times will people put up with the batting back and fourth of the whole planning drawing thing before they will pay a professional?

And this is even before B'regs has been explored! :eek:

GET A PRO' IN. :rolleyes:
And how many times will people wade in with unhelpful comments before reading the original post.
At no point have I said I don't want a professional to help. I'm happy to pay a professional, I was asking whether it needed to be an architect as I know the dimensions, layout, materials etc. and if it doesn't then who do I need?
But as always... Thanks for that very useful input!

Sponsored Links
The pitch is 12.5 at present. It raises to just over 14 if i take it up a level.
12.5 degrees! :eek:

Just get a pro in mate before you make a total cock-up.

Did you even read my reply to your last comment.

I have no issues hiring a professional. My question is does it need to be an architect? are there other options if I already know the layout, materials etc.

I'm not looking for a free service or to bodge some drawings, but if other members want to give me advice then I'm happy to listen - that's what this forum is for.

And for your remark about it being 12.5, do elaborate on why that is a cock up because last time I checked you can have 12.5 providing it is finished correctly. It may not be to your taste but this isn't your project.

Redland regent is what I'm planning at present. I know there are 1 or 2 other options but I don't think they are suitable on hips.
This is also why I have held off adding the skylights as I think that will be asking for trouble.
Either way I'm now meeting an architect the end of this week as I know I'm low on time

Redland regent is what I'm planning at present. I know there are 1 or 2 other options but I don't think they are suitable on hips.
This is also why I have held off adding the skylights as I think that will be asking for trouble.
Either way I'm now meeting an architect the end of this week as I know I'm low on time

I don't think hips are the problem with these tiles, the problem arises more with valleys.
With such a low pitch, you are limiting yourself to the choice of tile. Why not raise the pitch to something like 17.5 deg, so you could have a much wider choice of cheaper tiles, eg Marley Moderns.
The landing window may be a problem to you, but it is straightforward to cut a recess around the window cill to accomodate this.

I refurbished the whole house before moving in 18 months ago. I know I will be making changes to the hall area but I was trying to avoid making changes elsewhere which is why I have kept the roof low.

But totally understand your point about giving my self more options if I raise it. What I save on the tiles will probably cover the skylights :)

But totally understand your point about giving my self more options if I raise it. What I save on the tiles will probably cover the skylights :)
How will raising the pitch save on tiles?
....Or are you referring to the fact that the tile options will be cheaper?

Even though the cover-area would be a little greater, I suspect it's because tiles like Marley Mods are considerably cheaper than the lower-pitch types.

How will raising the pitch save on tiles?
....Or are you referring to the fact that the tile options will be cheaper?
More options will be available with an increased pitch. Because the Redland Regent go low they cost more unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back