Drawings for Extension Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've submitted basic drawings to the local council for a 2 storey side extension, and have received their approval to proceed. My aim is to build in stages as I have more time than money.

Do I need any additional drawings to complete and approve the foundations? I would like to complete the foundations this summer, then use the winter period to fine tune the materials for internal/external finishes and then finish off the build next spring/summer.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
If the ground is suitable for standard strip foundations then you don't need any drawings at all. The trench will be checked by the inspector.

If you need special foundations then they will need designing by an engineer.

These 'basic' drawings were approved by building control weren't they?

Sounds as if you've got planning permission for your extension but nothing more. Next step is wander in to local Building Control with your basic drawings and complete a Building Notice- (this is the cheaper way of doing Building Control). Have a chat with the BCO- he/she will advise on what foundations are required (generally they'll be aware of local soil conditions etc) and take it from there. Bonus- once you've 'commenced work' your planning permission lasts for ever and foundations are a pretty clear indicator of commencing work. (You have to commence work within 3 years of the PP grant otherwise it expires).

Oh yes, you don't need extra drawings when working to a Building Notice. If you're unsure about anything Building Control tell you then write it down or do a sketch while you're talking to them to make sure they know what you're planning and you know what they've suggested/recommended.

Sponsored Links
oldbutnotdead cheaper than what?
You can do a Full Plans submission to Building Control- never done one myself but your drawings would be very specific and include precise detailing of foundations, drainage, floor and wall construction (including sizes of timber, methods of fixing to the wall, what type of floor, again thicknesses of various elements and all sorts of other stuff down to what brand of light fitting you're using). BC will then check over the plans for compliance with the Regulations (don't get confused, the various Parts which everyone refers to are guidance notes and includes methods that are deemed to satisfy the Regulations). If you're doing something unorthodox then Full Plans will be the way to go, your scheme can be checked and amended until BC are happy, then all you (or your contractor) have to do is follow the plans explicitly and you'll satisfy the Regulations.
Full Plans are also useful if you want a firm quotation rather than an estimate from a builder or other trades- they'll be able to provide accurate pricing because the plans will show exactly what is required. They may make it easier to get quotations as well- if you've gone to the trouble and expense of doing full plans you're obviously committed to the scheme rather than daydreaming.

As far as Building Control are concerned, the cost of the Full Plans route and the Building Notice route is the same.

As far as Building Control are concerned, the cost of the Full Plans route and the Building Notice route is the same.

That did used to be the case, but recently I've found some local authorities are charging a little more for B.N., at least around here.

I do apologise for misleading you- yes you're correct, at the moment up here Full Plans & Building Notice submissions are the same price. It's laid out a bit oddly on the document though (that's my excuse anyway).

That did used to be the case, but recently I've found some local authorities are charging a little more for B.N., at least around here.

I've not checked prices locally but I wonder if this would work ....

.... on the basis that someone could submit a full plans application, and still start work before the plans are checked, they submit the full plans application but with some very basic rudimentary plans - ie don't spend much time/money on them.

Then just have the site inspections as normal.

The council will issue a "further information" request, and may ultimately issue a "rejections of full plans notice", but in the meantime the site inspections will have been done and once the final inspection done and the work deemed satisfactory, then they could request the completion certificate.

This could potentially stop the nonsense of them charging more for a BN application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back