Drayton Room Thermostat Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my heating went off a few days ago. After investigation I found that the boiler and hot water cylinder (thermal store) to be working fine but there was some sort of issue with the Drayton RTS1 room thermostat, there was no click when I turned the dial on it. So I took it off the wall and joined the live and switched live terminals on the face-plate with a piece of wire and the heating went on again immediately and it will stay on as long as I have this link in place. So I obviously thought that the room thermostat was faulty and simply needed replacing. So I've bought a new one, more or less the same version but it has an LED indicator, the Drayton RTS2. It has the exact same wall-plate and terminal connections as the previous thermostat. But after connecting it, you guessed it, it still won't work! Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks for any ideas as I am now totally baffled!

Sponsored Links
Hi, many thanks for the reply. There's 4 wires- live, neutral, switched live and earth. I didn't really have to change these as it's exactly the same for the Drayton RTS1 and the new one, RTS2 (which is why I bought this model). Like I say, I can bypass the room thermostat completely by connecting live and switched live with a wire and the heating will go on.
The red LED on the front panel is lit up all the time so there's obviously power going to it, it just won't 'click' at any point throughout the 10-30 degrees celsius temperature range as I turn the dial in order to turn the heat on.
I was thinking of buying another room thermostat (maybe a digital one this time) on the off chance that the new brand new thermostat is faulty as well (highly unlikely I know). But I'm rather mystified by the whole thing to be honest

sounds like for some reason you have lost the Neutral it will only click if a neutral is present

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that pointer Ian, I will investigate that tomorrow. Luckily I can still get heat in the meantime by connecting the live and switched live terminals together although it's a bit fiddly.

If the LED is lit up all the time then you have mixed up the live and switched live wires up.
Swap them round and you should be sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back