Dressing/facing gravel boards with decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So,
i'm building a deck and the 2 retaining walls made from conc posts and 2x1ft gravel boards high that will surround the deck are going to be faced with decking boards (vertically) and capped with sleepers.

Any ideas on the best way to do this? I'm concerned about drilling and plugging into the concrete posts and gravel baords as they are reinforced with steel bars inside so i may end up hitting one of those when drilling.
I originally imagined to do it the same way as a stud wall, as in battoning out horizontally and nailing/screwing the boards onto those.

open to suggestions, please and thanks.

Sponsored Links
my thoughts

planters/seating made from decking to cover part off the boards or at the posts backed on to the decking covering the gravel board to hold it in place
and assuming your decking is 143mm ish you will need 2 bits off decking to cover it
you could then add a decking board on top flat to take drinks at around 320mm off the decking will put these drinks out off reach off feet

in other words nothing holding it in place except the mass off the seating or the planters

hmmm.....probably should have mentioned that we want to install led lights into the 'decked wall' so realy needs to be secured to the posts and boards i think.

Sponsored Links
You mean wire for the LEDs?
Well my theory would be that battoning horizontally from post to post then attaching vertical boards perpendicular to the batons would create a cavity as the boards sit within the width of the posts (not flush with them). The wires would feed down in the cavity, underneath the decking and back into the house at low level to join into a spur. My step-son is a sparky and he's already suggested how i, well he will do it.

My main concern (back to the op) is how to attach the batons to the posts within hitting the reinforced steel inside.

so are you trying to fix the boards on the face off the posts ??

ok read your post further and assume you have arris rails or similar flush on one face rather than 6ft panels in a slot like i had assumed for my suggestions so far

No, your initial assumption is correct. concrete intermediate posts with 6ft x 1ft gravel boards slotted in.

But i bought all the posts and boards as 'seconds' because they were half price, and because the plan was to face them with wood so their cosmetic appearance was unimportant.

big-all, this is the wall in question :)

the bottom bit all around the conservatory will be the decked area.
Both retaining walls will hopefully be faced with vertical decking boards and topped with sleepers....somehow.
Might add a full length 'step' on the shorter of the 2 walls.

The top bit will be levelled and re-turfed.

have you thought about painting them
or even run the boards vertical with a baton hooked over the top
or maybe a bit off 2x1 treated sandwiched flat between the gravel boards to screw into

theres a 30% chance you will damage the posts beyond repair by drilling several holes

have you thought about painting them
lol, no way
or even run the boards vertical with a baton hooked over the top
Hmmm....well the boards will be vertical anyway, but kind of hooking them over might be a good idea. Weighted down with the sleepers could keep it in place, and if i did the wall first then laid the deck up to it, it would sandwich the bottom in nicely. :)
or maybe a bit off 2x1 treated sandwiched flat between the gravel boards to screw into
Yep, could do, similar to batoning out a RSJ prior to plasterboarding it you mean?

theres a 30% chance you will damage the posts beyond repair by drilling several holes
30%? lol, did you calculate that? Yeah, i am concerned about drilling into them tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back