Drill Bit Set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to buy a 6mm masonry drill bit, in order to hang a new curtain track.

I called in at Wickes and saw that two 6mm bits were about £3. However, I noticed that they are also selling a bit set, see link below, for about £7.

This set contains17 bits, as well as screwdriver bits and plugs.

I'm not a mad DIY'er, but think a decent set of bits would be useful ... currently I have a mixture of all odds and ends.

Is this set worth buying ?

yes, I know .. at a normal tool shop (not a DIY chain) drills are sold loosely for about £1 each

http://www.wickes.co.uk/drill-bit+wall-plug-set-pk300/invt/168150/

Sponsored Links
take a look at the screwfix site and see whats around at the same sort of price,always worth having the basic set of drill bits.

Its handy to have a set of bits, even if you may not need them all right now, least then you have them for when you do. Think screwfix have them but other places also have them, but for masonary i like bosch multi-construction or makita brickmaster, not the cheapest but have found them very good. And for drilling metal iv always bought Dormer bits from local engineering merchant, again not cheap but do last.

Sponsored Links
It's not by any stretch of the imagination 'decent'. It's a cheap and nasty chinese made piece of tat aimed squarely at the bargain basement end of the market. I guess only you can decide if it's worth buying.

I often find that the case is more useful than the contents on these multi-packs. It's good to have a set of drills for those once-in-a-blue-moon occasions. The ones you'll use more (5mm to 8mm range) can be replaced as and when they melt with decent replacements and gradually the set evolves into a decent set.

Its handy to have a set of bits, even if you may not need them all right now, least then you have them for when you do. Think screwfix have them but other places also have them, but for masonary i like bosch multi-construction or makita brickmaster, not the cheapest but have found them very good. And for drilling metal iv always bought Dormer bits from local engineering merchant, again not cheap but do last.

I'll give another vote for the Bosch Multi (blue) bits, much more useful being able to drill wood/masonry/steel with the same bit. Walls here (hard bricks/cement render) are very hard, ordinary bits last about as long as cheese, these are the only ones I've found that will touch it.

Phil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back