drill bit stuck in chuck - jaws open, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can advise me about my drill problem please.

Its a 2 year old keyless Dewalt 505.

I was using it on hammer action to drill into masonry, but when I open the jaws the drill bit will not come out.

The jaws are fully open, and the drill bit will turn and wiggle about, but it won't come out.

I've tried securing the drill body and pulling with pliers.

I understand that if the chuck needs replacing theres a retaining screw where the drill bit goes, so I'm wondering what can be done as I can't get to this screw.

Thank you in adavnce for any ideas.

Amanda

Sponsored Links
Try tapping the chuck with a hammer. You could try extending the jaws and tapping the jaws too.

Chances are the drill has worked its way into the hole down the centre shaft, to get it out, try clamping the the drill in a vise or workmate and give it a twist and a pull at the same time, a bit of pursusation, are hey presto.

amandaeb said:
I've tried securing the drill body and pulling with pliers.

Try it the other way. Secure the bit and pull the drill, you will have more leverage that way. ;)

Sponsored Links
Or get another drill. Tighten the bit to the other end and then unscrew it making sure the drill with the bit stuck in it is secure.

But in 2nd gear to get more torque and it should hopefully unscrew out.

Thank you all very much.

These are all good ideas.

I'll try them.

Amanda :D

please note 17 which is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back