Drill into brick or mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've already Googled this but there does seem to be some disagreement which is best.

However, they all seem to refer to hanging stuff but I'm wanting to drill through the walls for cabling so not sure if the same rules apply since getting a good grip doesn't matter.

To be more precise, it's a cavity wall with brick on the outside and breeze block on the inside.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
If its for cables go through mortar joints, less messy. If its going in conduit you'll be drilling 25mm so aim for a corner.

Thanks very much.
I'm actaully planning on drilling two 10mm holes. One for a POE CCTV camera and the other for satellite shotgun cable.
The holes inside the house will be under the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
use a long drill bit just bigger than the cable, drill through the mortar or the brick, when you think your almost through apply only light pressure to minimize inside damage, when through leave the bit in the hole and remove from the drill, hold the cable flush with the end of the bit and use sellotape to firmly attach it, go inside and gently pull the bit through with the wire attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back