Drill press vice - quick release mechanism slips when tightening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a drill press vice that looks very similar to the one below. When the clamp experiences resistance (i.e. when tightening something into the vice), the quick release mechanism slips preventing the clamp from being tightened. How can this be fixed? Thanks.

61TpCcHvp6L._SL1000_.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think there's a good chance that the screw thread on the nut - that forms the quick release mechanism- is worn, unfortunately.....I wouldn't know if replacements are available.
In the good old days of 'proper' engineering, the correct thread to perform this task was known as the butress thread - with only one thrust face on the thread.
John :)

Thanks. I removed the grub screws to remove the main screw (not sure what to call that) and the quick release button. The grooves do look worn. Do you know what a part like this would be called? Thanks again.

TzUllve.png

It's called a split nut, and as you can see it's made out of some type of alloy. The wear you see causes the slipping problem - and I very much doubt if you would be able to get a replacement part,unfortunately and I think a replacement vice would be the answer.
The lead screw looks like to be either a square thread or an acme thread, just for info!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Burnerman! It seems that the company which claims to have made it (or just packaged it?) keeps a pretty low profile so I expect I won't find spare parts either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back