Drill recommendation for concrete lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have the lovely job of drilling into a concrete lintel to attach a curtain pole. I have done one already which took an age using an old 710w hammer drill, but it ended up being the biggest bodge job ever. So now I have the 2nd rail to do, but I want to do it properly this time and so that it does't take hours to do. I have heard that SDS drills are the way to go but I would like some recommendations or even if someone thinks no SDS are rubbish then tell me! I have found this one, which looks good, what do you think, is it a bit big? Just want to get peoples thoughts before I make the purchase. Cheers, Ben

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb279sds-5kg-sds-plus-drill-240v/55660?_requestid=52991

Sponsored Links
That's more of a breaker. A 2kg version will do the job just fine.

Thanks. What wattage would be good for this. A lot of the 2 ish kg SDS's are around 700-800w, is this suitable or should I be looking for something with a bit more power?

Thanks. What wattage would be good for this. A lot of the 2 ish kg SDS's are around 700-800w, is this suitable or should I be looking for something with a bit more power?
They should fly thru it easily.

Sponsored Links
yep, it'll be night and day compared to your normal hammer drill.

That's a coincidence, I just replied to another topic on the same drill.

An SDS drill will do the job you're describing no problem at all. As Joe says, a 2KG drill will also do it with no drama - much easier than a hammer drill.

I bought the drill you linked to and it's actually an awesome piece of kit for the money. It comes with chisels and drills (which would cost you a few tenners if bought separately).

Only caveat is that for the money is when I was standing in my local Screwfix and spotted the drill on offer for £40. I'm not sure I'd spend £70 on it, especially for a single job.

TBH, you could hire an SDS drill and bits from HSS for £20 so, if this is a one-off job, I'd do that. If you think you'll use it again then wait for Screwfix to drop the price or look on gumtree/ebay for a decent used SDS.

OK so the titan thing is a bit big I've decided and not really suitable for the work I want to do, so I have been having a look around at smaller ones. I've found two bosch sds drills which look good, but I'm having problems deciding. They're both the same price but the green is more powerful than the blue, but I've heard people saying that blue bosch drills are better because they are professional, would I be better off getting the blue one even thought the green has more wattage? What do you reckon?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7150829.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back