Drilling a Hole - That Dreaded Noise!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking a Cat 6 cable up to our bedroom (over the garage), I drilled a hole using a 25mm spade bit and extension piece.

The cable was to come up underneath a worktop with a rad below. Either side of the rad pipe was a joist, so I drilled a hole a few inches in front of the rad pipe so I would miss the pipe where it exited the garage ceiling below (I had to drill at a slight angle because the drill and bit were taller than the worktop).

After all this time drilling holes, you would think I would know better, but the board was thinner than I thought and as the spade bit plunged through the underfloor cavity and plaster board, still spinning wildly, I heard a dreadful clatter and felt vibration in the rad in front of me.

With huge trepidation, I hurtled down to the garage expecting to see water and Fernox spraying everywhere.

To my utter relief, the pipe must have had enough movement in it to be pushed out of the way by the drill bit and looked relatively unscathed by its experience!

Think I'll leave the drill alone for a while...:whistle:

Sponsored Links
Taking a Cat 6 cable up to our bedroom (over the garage), I drilled a hole using a 25mm spade bit and extension piece.

The cable was to come up underneath a worktop with a rad below. Either side of the rad pipe was a joist, so I drilled a hole a few inches in front of the rad pipe so I would miss the pipe where it exited the garage ceiling below (I had to drill at a slight angle because the drill and bit were taller than the worktop).

After all this time drilling holes, you would think I would know better, but the board was thinner than I thought and as the spade bit plunged through the underfloor cavity and plaster board, still spinning wildly, I heard a dreadful clatter and felt vibration in the rad in front of me.

With huge trepidation, I hurtled down to the garage expecting to see water and Fernox spraying everywhere.

To my utter relief, the pipe must have had enough movement in it to be pushed out of the way by the drill bit and looked relatively unscathed by its experience!

Think I'll leave the drill alone for a while...:whistle:

Was the toilet your next visit after that?

Sponsored Links
Yes we all do it, you look and think I can do that, then apprentice follows suit, then the fire alarm goes off as he hits it. Darn expensive error. Problem with pipes is you don't always realise I screwed the floor boards down in my dads house and hit a pipe, it took 3 months before it started to leak, lucky no real damage. Just a damp patch on ceiling and some practice soldering for me. Central heating so could use lead stuff.

A lot of this 'elf and safety' business annoys me. Why on earth shouldn't we use lead solder on central heating? Who is it going to harm?
I'm not sure, but I suspect that the answer to that might well be "the person who breathes in the fumes whilst (s)he is doing the soldering"!

Kind Regards, John

A lot of this 'elf and safety' business annoys me.
Please don't start that shameful and selfish **** here.

Why on earth shouldn't we use lead solder on central heating? Who is it going to harm?
Everybody - lead is a dangerous substance to have in the environment.

Come to think of it, it does make a strange clattering noice.
I went down behind a skirting with a 20mm masonry bit, when I heard the noise, I stopped and looked down the hole , only to hear and smell GAS hissing out the copper pipe , it was an over million pound house, luckily the builder knew where the gas meter was, because i didnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back