drilling into rendered house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when drilliing into a rendered house to attach a ledger board - is there any way of making sure i am drilling into the centre of a brick and not near the edge which could crack the brick

thanks

Sponsored Links
Does it matter if you crack a brick if it's rendered? I'd be more concerned about damaging the render.

If this is for a deck, you don't need a ledger board. A freestanding one will be ok on the flat. Dig the posts in on a slope.

thanks deluk

the ledger board is for pergola which will be attached to my house

i am using a ledger board for the deck too but that section of brick is not covered by render so i can make sure i drill in the centre of the brick

i was just concerend with the pergola ledger that i could split a brick and reduce the strength of the ledger

cheers

When you drill the hole you'll know whether it's up to scratch. If the first one is no good vary the height slightly on the next one. Depends on what fixings you're using really. I'd be using 10mm throughbolts (hammer in)

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for advice

i am using M12 180mm throughbolts - id figured id need to drill into the brick 80mm leaving 100mm then another 50mm for wood and 10mm gap between ledger and wall leaving 40mm for fixing nut on the end - does that sound about right

was going to use 150mm bolt but thought it might be a bit tight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back