Drilling Large Holes in Wood Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have large blocks of really hard wood that I want to make big holes in.
Basically I want to make fairy houses and need to get rid of big amounts of wood to make rooms.
I have brought a Challenge 710 wat hammer drill and a good set of drill bits. I have also brought a set of wood chisel and a mallet.
I did have a little bit of a bang around with the chisels but to be honest, there is no way they are going to make any dent in this wood.
I have been looking at hole saws which are attached to the drill but unsure if this drill make them and wondered if they are universal or not or do they have to be for that particular model of drill.
Just don't want to waste any more money on tools that are not up to the job and would welcome any advice from anyone that knows what they are doing please.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 1455980248856-706680282.jpg
    1455980248856-706680282.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 1455980295661234899974.jpg
    1455980295661234899974.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 406
Sponsored Links
Maybe a small chainsaw followed by chisels and then lots of sanding both by hand and using round drill sanding bits - never done it myself and I am no expert. Just thinking out loud as to how I might approach it!

I think I'd consider chain drilling to a set depth with some flat bit drills, and then chiselling the waste away. No hammer action wanted for that!
John :)

Thanks for that John. yes i had thought that maybe drilling and chiselling as you suggest but wasnt sure. The chain saw looks fun though and definitley looks the quickest way to get the job done. But want to have an upstairs and downstairs with some kind of roof. I know it will have to have an opening so I can put things inside, maybe have a removable roof.
Gosh I didn't think it would be so difficult. What I really need is the inside hollow but with a ceiling and stairs inside. The ceiling doesn't need to cover the whole area as the stairs will need hole.
I expect chain saw is expensive, im going to look now.
Lots more planning I think lol
Thank you
Jan

Sponsored Links
Eckman LHT05 Heavy Duty 18v 10" Oregon Chainsaw Pruner Bare Unit
Would this do the trick ?
It's really cheap in Argos at mo. Haven't looked to see how much battery and charger cost but looks ok.

A sculpting chainsaw is very expensive, and equally dangerous :eek: and the chain bar is pointed so the timber can be attacked point on. Not a tool for the inexperienced!
Flat wood bits range from 6mm up to 35mm or thereabouts, and if the timber can be clamped down, are quite effective. Easy to sharpen too!

You do need to have protective clothing when using a chain saw, even a small one can cause serious injury before you know it.

Those battery saws are quite good for what they are, but if dealing with hardwoods the battery life is severely limited. However, they are easy enough to sharpen (every 1/2 hour or so). The work piece must be clamped down!
Again, I can't stress the safety issues too much!

Ok John that's great, thanks for that. Yes I will defffo make sure I'm careful. I know they can be extremely dangerous. I'm even scared of using the drill lol. But I am reading all the safety info and watching videos.
Have only got tiny clamps for small pieces of wood so I'm going to get a bigger better clamp before I attempt anything.
Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.
Jan

Yes I have just looked again and they have another one for £35 this was cord one. So probably better, not batts to worry about.
Jan

Thanks Bernard & yes I definitely will make sure. I wouldn't even attempt anything like that unless I was 100% sure I was safe.
☺☺☺

Wow now that's impressive. Thanks Foxhole. I'm going to see where I can get 1 right now. I'm sure this will be easier & less dangerous than a chainsaw ☺☺☺
Thanks
Jan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back