drilling through concrete fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to insert a 6mm red rawplug in a fence concrete post.

I have this sds drill:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36136/Power-Tools/SDS-Drills/Erbauer-6kg-SDS-Drill

Is this suitable for drilling the post? The post has been insitu for quite a few years.

Do you have any suggestion with regards to:

1) drill bit size and make
2) screw size to go in the plug.

I am drilling the holes to attach a batton to the post.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Start with a 6mm masonry bit and work up to 10mm, then fit a 10mm rawl plug. Use coach screws to get a good grip. You can tighten the coach screw with a socket set.

Hope that helps.

And try and not hit the reinforcing bar in the post.

Andy

Hi,

I would like to insert a 6mm red rawplug in a fence concrete post.

1) drill bit size and make
2) screw size to go in the plug.

I am drilling the holes to attach a batton to the post.

Many thanks
1- sure it`s a 6mm ? a lot of reds are 5.5mm any make drill bit ;) 2- No. 10

yes it is a 5.5 plug. Do you mean i should use m10 screws?
Are these ok for a plug 5.5mm?

How long should the screws be? I am attachinga batton to hold a 0.5mm board on it. I'm not sure i would need something as think as a 2 x4 to go on the concrete post.

Sponsored Links
I would be very worried about starting a crack in your concrete post. Maybe there is another way? What is this batten for?

yes it is a 5.5 plug. Do you mean i should use m10 screws?
Are these ok for a plug 5.5mm?

How long should the screws be? I am attachinga batton to hold a 0.5mm board on it. I'm not sure i would need something as think as a 2 x4 to go on the concrete post.
Number 10 not M10 ;) 1and a half inches long ( M10 is 10mm dia . don`t know where the other poster got that idea :confused: that would definitely crack the post. ) Maybe even gripfill the batten on :idea:

This is a really old thread but I needed to do this recently.

I tried with SDS bits and made a hole, at the cost of fine cracks in the post. Hmmm...not good.

So I dug out an old 8mm diamond coated tile hollow drill bit (from a recent bathroom build).

Result? Brilliant! Cut like hot knife through butter and because no need for hammer action no cracks in the post. Just a smooth perfect hole that was made using my 18V cordless dewalt. (Ie SDS not required)

You can pick these bits up for around £2 on eBay.

I've not seen these suggested before so thought I'd mention it.

Maybe I'm wrong and everyone knows this though! :)

Excellent idea- I didn't know you could get diamond drills that small :notworthy:

For example, item 201159703385 from a popular auction site;)

I used 7mm ones

Cheers

as they're hollow, what do you do with the concrete core while drilling?

Can you snap it off?

Yup. It's so small and brittle it just snaps off as part of the process of drilling in my experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back