Drip tray for loft tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of moving my cold water tank and F&E tank so I can put a proper sized loft hatch in. I am considering putting a drip tray under the tanks, for a few reasons, I had a leak on the isolation valve on one of them which just dripped to the ceiling (fortunately caught it in time), the F&E tank ends up with a lot of condensation on the outside which runs on to the plywood board and can't be doing it any good, and also both plastic overflow pipes had pulled out of the connectors on the side of the tanks!

My thought is to have either a large tray for both, or one for each tank, with a drain hole running to the overflow out of the wall, and direct the tank overflow to the drain hole. So then if the tank or one of the valves sprung a leak it'd catch it, and it'll stop the danger of the overflow pipe pulling out. I could also put an audible flood alarm in just in case the drip tray started filling up. Something like this...
tanks_zpssksmqzlk.png

Has anyone done this, and if so what did you use? I'm thinking along the lines of an old shower tray, the bottom part of an old (larger) water tank, or a reasonably priced proper drip tray...but I'm open to suggestions. Or if there's a good reason to not do it, tell me now!

Sponsored Links
Condensation on the outside of the tanks indicates the air in the loft is damp - extra ventilation is required, and you need to prevent warmer air entering the loft from the house below as condensation in the loft will cause mould and rot. The tanks should be insulated anyway to prevent frost damage.
Overflow pipes should be solvent welded at the joints so will never pull apart.
Leaking valves or joints can happen, but should be a rare/never type of event if they are fitted properly.

Having the overflow pipe into a tray is all very well until the tray outlet gets blocked with dirt, insulation or whatever else.

If you are still that concerned over leaks, get rid of the tanks completely.

Sponsored Links
It was common practice when I was a young apprentice in the late 60's on commercial buildings (hospitals, schools etc) but very rare in domestic premises.

In those days the tanks were mainly galvanised, I think the use of fibreglass and plastic tanks put pay to the drip trays.

I have seen a lead drip tray dating from 1900 or so in a country mansion.

If you're worried about the overflow not being being able to cope with full-bore mains flow from a failed ballcock you could upsize the the overflow to to 32 or 40mm, as I believe they do in that strange bit of land tacked on to the north of England.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back