Dripping in cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello,

I'm very new here and a complete novice. Hoping somebody can help!

I've just moved into a new flat and I'm being kept awake at night by a constant dripping and trickling water sound from the cold water tank.

I've managed to take a couple of pictures of the part thats at fault that I have uploaded to this post.

If I pull up on the ballcock rod then the dripping and trickling stops. If I release it, the dripping starts again. What can be done to resolve this?

Hoping someone can help me out here :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the advice. A new ball valve has been fitted but it's still trickling water and dripping. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I didn't install the new valve, it was my landlord. Thank you for the advice. I'll get him to sort it asap

image.jpeg
The landlord is saying that nothing can be done, although I think that this is not true and that he's fobbing me off.

When there is dripping and trickling water, I can just push/pull the little pin highlighted in this photo and then the dripping and trickling stops until next time a toilet is flushed or a tap is used (thats what triggers the trickling).

Any ideas on why this pin is doing this and what can be done?

I'm sorry for the daft questions, but I'm a complete novice.

Is water dripping out of the overflow pipe? Does the float get submerged?

Observe the water level, precisely.

Tie up the float so it stops dripping.

Do not run any taps, flush the WC or use any water (go out shopping, perhaps) for a couple of hours.

Observe the water level again.

Has it dropped?

Look in your WC cistern and photograph the water level. Is it too high? Show us.

I take it photo 3 is the new valve that's been fitted. It looks as if the ball is completely submerged in which case it is serving no useful purpose. By bending the arm like it is the leverage of the valve has been drastically altered and the float has less effect. If it's a 4" ball on the end you could possibly fit a 6"ball which will float better and create more force on the valve.

if the float is submerged, the Pegler Prestex Part 2 valve, which is designed so you don't need to bend the arm, will be much better all round.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-2/27627

It's a very good valve. If your landlord is an arse, I would go so far as to buy one myself, if I were you. It costs a couple of pounds more than cheap rubbish and can easily last 20 years.

If you can get at the feed to the ballvalve - cut and insert a lever valve - then turn it off @ night - there might even be an old stopcock there already:idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back