Dripping noise in loft, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as iv mentioned in previous threads iv just bought a new house and the plumbing/heating systems don't seem the best. I have been having issues with banging pipes, a tap in the bathroom also failed recently. I had a plumber out on Tuesday and he replaced the 2 taps in the bathroom basin. Anyway, I'm lying in bed tonight and all I can hear is constant dripping coming from my loft. I don't want to disturb the neighbors by going up and banging about tonight but I'll need to go up and look in the morning as I'm getting worried there's water leaking all over my loft!
Any advice on what I should look for (other than pools of water!) it is a vented system (I think) with an old asbestos water tank and F&E tank in the loft along with a hot water cylinder on the level below. the plumber who did the job is now on holiday so I can't get hold of him to see if it could be anything he done. My initial guess is I could have a leaking ball valve in the water tank however the fact I have just had work done in the last couple of days suggests to me that something might have been done, unfortunately I cannot think of a single thing that could've been changed that could cause this?

Sponsored Links
Just an update, I went up to the loft during the night. It seems the drip is coming from inside the water tank, I assume this would point to a faulty ball valve? Is there anything else that brings water into the tank (overflow from header tank etc)?

Also, it's an asbestos water tank, is there any issues with the asbestos when changing the ball valve?

I have attached a photo of the tank, there are a number of valves, I'm not sure what these are or if they should be opened /closed etc so any help in understanding them would be appreciated
20160618_003002.jpg

Sounds like dripping ball valve, which you would notice more in the quietness of the night. I have never come across any asbestos water tanks, unless you meant Fibre Glass? Use of asbestos been outlawed long time and if it is I would replace it with a PVC or some other material, is this for cold or hot water storage?

Take a close up of the tank to see if it is fiber glass or asbestos.

Also make sure your overflow is clear in case you leave your home for long period the tank could overfill and spill water down its sides onto your ceiling below, can you not see inside the tank by removing its top cover to see if it is dripping.

If your tank is asbestos, try and replace just the rubber washer by undoing it from the float side, (Water stop cock turned off) without disturbing the entry point, as that may loosen asbestos strands as you undo the coupling nuts,

Last edited:
Old asbestos cisterns are common - leave well alone and there's no issue.

Standard 'part 2' valves will drip as they are almost closed - they will eventually stop unless the washer is worn. If you push the float down and let a reasonable amount of water into the cistern and then release the float if the dripping continues hen it's either a new washer or a new ball-valve.

Sponsored Links
Asbestos tanks are still common place,although never fitted now. Don't worry about it. The ballvalve is easily repaired. Seriously you ought to stop being so concerned, you can get all this sorted over time. When you do get it replaced just drain, disconnect and leave it where it is.

Hi thanks for the replies. Yeah, it's definitely asbestos, it was mentioned in the home report when I bought the place and I got an asbestos removal company in to confirm. As mentioned above they said that as long as it's not disturbed it'll be fine, I'm just not sure whether changing the ball valve counts as disturbing it.

I've been up and had a look. Basically what seems to be happening is the tank fills up as normal but when it gets 1-1.5 inches from full the water flow decreases to a trickle, thus the last portion takes ages to fill and is quite noisy.
We tried taking the ball valve apart and cleaning it up and also replaced the washer however after putting it all back together it still does the exact same thing. I'm assuming this is because the valve is almost fully closed at this point which is why it's only letting a trickle through? If this is the case would replacing the whole ball valve help? Also, I have heard of valves that basically have a small pipe that runs to the bottom of the tank thus the water basically enters from the bottom meaning that you don't get the noise of water falling into a pool. Can these be fitted in domestic water tanks and if so can anybody tell me what they are called?

Thanks

To avoid annoying dripping sound, tie a piece of linen to help run the drips along it, but make sure your overflow pipes are all Ok and that if the tank overfilled that the extra water will discharge from the outlet through an external wall.

I have been told that those asbestos tanks can suddenly delaminate and create quite a sudden leak.

But to avoid the problems its normal to disconnect them and leave them in the loft.

Tony

I have never come across any asbestos water tanks, unless you meant Fibre Glass? Use of asbestos been outlawed long time and if it is I would replace it with a PVC or some other material, is this for cold or hot water storage?

We would not expect you to have come across any because you are not working as a plumber or building surveyor.

Tony

I have been told that those asbestos tanks can suddenly delaminate and create quite a sudden leak.

Tony
Who told you that?....many asbestos CWSC's are still in service.....they don't deform with heat unlike the plastic cisterns nor do they rot like the galv cisterns......leaving swarf in the galv cisterns when cutting with cooks cutters gave them an early demise.

Someone who asked me to replace one on the advice of his surveyor.

But of course I checked, possibly even here, and all the advice was that it can happen.

Have you ever encountered a "delaminated" asbestos CWSC?...are you saying these cisterns were laminated?
Have you ever removed an asbestos CWSC?...or possibly seen one?..;)

I have never come across any asbestos water tanks, unless you meant Fibre Glass? Use of asbestos been outlawed long time and if it is I would replace it with a PVC or some other material, is this for cold or hot water storage?

We would not expect you to have come across any because you are not working as a plumber or building surveyor.

Tony

You are so right tony. That explains that then. How common are they? 1 in what?

I don't think asbestos laminates and never seen it ( always a first ) and only contains about 5 % asbestos anyway but shouldn't be broken up anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back