Dripping outside pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking after my neighbours house and before they went away they noticed a small leak under the toilet which seemed to be coming from the pipe to the cistern. They raised the ball in the cistern and secured it so that no water would come in and drained the toilet of water. After they had gone I turned the water off and drained the tank so I knew there wouldnt be any leaks! However, I have noticed that there are two pipes coming from below the guttering and the right hand side one is dripping, quite slowly but it is dripping! The stopcock is definitely as far as it would go but I have noticed that after I drained the tank it must be filling up again slowly becauce 5 mins after about 1 litre of water still came out of the taps?
Can anyone help - its a big responisbility looking after someone elses house!!

Sponsored Links
Its not uncommon for house stopcocks to not turn off fully - the washer inside degrades with age, splits or even disappears.
However.....does the loo cistern fill so much as to come out of the overflow? Lift the cistern lid off and check that.
There are other tanks in the loft which have a similar system - the central heating flow and expansion tank and the cold water header tank - either of these could be overflowing too.
A possible fix is to open a tap downstairs - this will stop water flow to upstairs if the stopcock is only passing a little water.
Something thats confusing though.....how can a drip from under the loo be coming from the overflow pipe? :confused:
John :)

Are they, the householders contactable, if so ask them what they want you to do.
I assume you have turned off the internal stop tap, which sounds as if it is not seating properly. There should also be an external stop tap at the front of the house. Look for that and turn it off also

Sponsored Links
As they had tied up the ball valve they seem the kind of people who want to do DIY repairs themselves.

As said, turn on the kitchen cold tap to let the leaking mains water out.

Then just wait for them to come back.

No one should look after a house unless they are given clear instructiuons on what to do in the case of a problem which needs a professional to fix.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back