dripping overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a dripping overflow from the loft that drips to the outside when there is hot water disturbance ie: when the system comes on; when a hot water tap is run; when the pump switches on. We have put up with it now for a while now and someone told us recently that we are risking rusting the insides of the radiators if we leave it but we don't know what the problem is :confused: . It drips over our rear door so anytime we go outside we have to scoot round the drips to stay dry :cry: and in the winter we have a dangerous frozen patch right outside the door :confused: .

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It drips over our rear door so anytime we go outside we have to scoot round the drips to stay dry.......

That's what it's supposed to do, it's called an overflow warning pipe and it's meant to drip in a really awkward place SO YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

thanks oilman, when I said any suggestions welcome, I should have said any HELPFUL suggestions welcome. We would like to do something about it, which is why I posted my query to this forum. I usually find people want to help if they know the fault. I am sorry you misunderstood.

Please could anyone else suggest what could be the cause, then maybe we could put it right. I am afraid we are at a loss. Thanks

Try adjusting your float valve by bending the metal arm downwards so the float cuts water supply at a lower level.
If no joy replace the washer inside the valve (better still replace the float valve as they are cheap enough).
If no joy then I suggest calling a plumber out as your cylinder coil may be leaking and will need replacing. He will investigate the cause :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Bahco

Thanks for your suggestions, we will look into it with your advice in mind.

With regard to the rusty insides of the radiators - We were told that a rust inhibitor is normally put into any central heating system upon commissioning or refilling. If ours is continually leaking and losing the water and thus being replaced with fresh water then the rust inhibitor becomes more diluted. Sounds logical to us but please correct us if this info is not valid.

thanks

.....and in the winter we have a dangerous frozen patch right outside the door

It has been like that for a rather long time then. Have you been to look in the tank?

It's a little unfair for people who have done not a lot to investigate their problem, to post a query here and expect an instant solution. We are unpaid, and it's reasonable to expect the owner of the problem does something as fundamental as looking and being able to report continual dripping from the ball valve or steam coming from the vent pipe so they can provide some information..

Turn the water supply off to the cold water storage and F&E tank then put the system on and see if it still dripping, if it is, then it not your ballcock. Do this first then we maybe able help you further.

Masona, we will go and turn off the water now to the cold water storage but what is the F&E tank?
thanks

Yes, sorry we don't have enough information on what type of heating system you may have.

The F&E is Feed and Expansion tank, a very small tank for the hot water and heating.

Do you have a combi or water cylinder etc...

The more information you can give us the better feedback.........

Also see this to help you.

Gas system, Potterton Boiler, traditional - not combi, 20 yrs old, 2 of the radiators (bathrooms) are gravity fed (but one stopped working by gravity ie not coming on with hot water only). Thank you all for your suggestions. It will take a little time to see if anything has worked but will post feedback.

Im not a plumber but it sounds to me like your ball valve is leaking a bit in the loft and lallowing the level to get high so it overflows when the boiler starts. The boiler will heat the water which expands and lifts the level in the tank. I recon air in your system would also make it worse. You do need to bleed the radiators that are not working. You also might have a problem with sludge in your system blocking pipes etc!
Hope this helps, but you should call a plumber for proper advice

Right .......... It is not the ballcock, or the mains water supply. By the process of elimination, the water can only be backing up through the feed pipe, now we are getting somewhere. Thank you Bahco, Masona, Oilman, Trenarren, we really appreciate your help. What we don't know now is why it is backing up. Must be the coil? do we need a new hot water tank?? Is this the only solution? Thanks again in advance, what a wonderful website this is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back