dripping shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo, My shower head has suddenly developed an annoying drip. Is it a case of just buying a new shower head to replace the old one (which even I could do!) or is the problem originating from the unit fixed into the wall ?!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hello again myanne!
If the shower drip is continuous, then its the shower mixing cartridge, in the on/off temperature regulating unit, that is letting the water through.
Spares are often available from the likes of showerspares etc but the prices may shock you!
You will need to identify the exact make and model of your shower though.
John :)

Hiya Burnerman!!!!!!!
Well if it's not one thing it's another with me! I was fearing that you would say it was the unit. Oh well, I'd better get looking for a good plumber.Thanks for advice. ;)

If you can identify your shower, its worth getting a quote for its repair, as a new one will likely require some tiling work.
Usually the cartridge comes out cleanly enough through the control bezel on the front, but you need new 'o' rings too to keep the thing watertight.....if your shower has water isolation valves fitted this makes the whole job easier!
Some consolation is, the drip rarely gets worse quickly.
However if its an old shower you have, an up to date one is probably the way to go.
Be lucky! :p

Sponsored Links
Well the shower is only a few years old so I'm a bit disappointed in it. It is an Aqualisa but I can't find the model number. Looks like it's going to be a major job. :cry:

Aqualisa are usually quite good for spares - if you have a look at the showerspares website (or similar) you may be able to recognise it from a picture.....they are also well helpful on the phone - telling you where to look for identification, etc.
The shower internals can easily cost around £100 though :eek: but that maybe small beer compared with a complete new installation.
You could always live with the drip (my own Aqualisa has dripped slowly for years - the noise would drive me nuts during the night so now it drips onto a strategically placed sponge or I lie the shower head in the tray) ;)
Hope things go well!

That is helpful John thank you - I will try not to get too depressed. Some cunning ideas for drip management as well - why didn't I think of that! (Don't answer! :confused: ) My house was built in 1860 and so really by now I should be used to things going wrong all the time but it just seems to be one thing after another at the moment. There have been plumbers who have been seen running 100mph from the house vowing never to come back again - I won't even go into the central heating problems. Thanks again.

1860 heating should be fine - so should 1960 - get to 2006 and the boilers etc. are " too clever for their own good " ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back