Driveway - soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if someone can help/advice.

We have recently had our driveway paved. The builder dug 2 deep holes either side at the front to enable the drainpipes to run into soakaways. The left drainpipe is fine, but the right has been put through the bottom front wall - level with the pavement. When I asked about this he said he couldn't get the angle of the pipe into the soak away and said it had to be done this way, that it was absolutely fine. My concern is that we could be fined by the council, as the rainwater from the pipe will be going onto the pavement. Is there legislation against this?

I have tried researching on the net but not getting very far, so any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it mentions it in the regs'. Consider the consequences if some water drains across the pavement, and that then freezes in the ice cold weather in the winter, and someone slips on it.

Thanks for coming back to me.

The builders are finishing up today hence why I wanted to get it sorted before they go and we have paid!!...so I asked about it again this morning, they are now sorting it. They have found where they put the soakaway and taking up the paving stones and are going to get the bend on it. I think he was hoping that the council wouldn't notice, but they are pretty hot around here!

Sponsored Links
Surface water from your land shouldn't be running onto the public highway.

We have quite a steep drive that drains directly on to the adjacent pavement, so I can't imagine where else the rainwater would go.

On the plus side, the road and pavement outside is also on a slope (oops, can you say that word these days?) so rainwater will drain straight down the road (to the nearest storm drain).

@JBR, this only really applies to new driveways etc. Though it is always possible that someone could claim off you if they slipped over. Just like they could try and claim off the LA on a steep road/pavement where running rainwater could freeze.

@JBR, this only really applies to new driveways etc. Though it is always possible that someone could claim off you if they slipped over. Just like they could try and claim off the LA on a steep road/pavement where running rainwater could freeze.

Well, I'd just advise them to put in a claim against God. After all, He's in charge of weather. I suppose that, if they are unable to find Him or contact Him, they could pursue the Pope or the ABofC.

Mind you, He's probably god an expensive firm of defence lawyers working for Him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back