Driving External Speakers from a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a Sony Bravia KDL-22E53 TV installed on a wall bracket in the far corner of our bedroom.
In order to hear properly at that distance, we need to increase the volume to an unacceptable level, a bit too loud if the grandchildren are sleeping in the next room.

(our hearing is not so good these days!)

I would like to install some speakers in the 'built-in wardrobe bridge' above our headboard and drive these directly or indirectly from the TV.

If via a seperate audio amp of some kind, it would be nice if this turned off when the TV does (auto sleep mode?) I believe some special energy saving PC sockets do something similar for PC peripherals.

Also, if we could use the earphone output in some way, the TV remote would control the volume for us as well.

Ideas anyone? :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply.

No particular budget limit, just aiming for the least expensive standard quality sound we can get, not trying to improve the existing sound quality, just need to get it closer to us.

Sponsored Links
Auto power sensing on stand-alone amps tends to be in the mid or higher price brackets. However, if you can reach up and flick a switch On/Off then you could have a pair of speakers with a very compact amp to run off the headphone socket for around the £60-£70 mark plus shipping.

Check out Amazon for loudspeakers under "Computers & Accessories" for some REALLY low cost units. Then support your local community and buy from your nearest computer shop.

ISTR The headphone socket is not usually controlled by the remote volume control, there is a setting in the menu instead.

So whatever you use will need an external volume control.

Wrong, use a "Soundbar" it will work from the ear piece and auto turn off as well.

Thanks everyone,

Matt, Alarm, who is correct? (about headphone socket volume control)

Chris, what is 'mid range prices? (reaching up and switching off may not be an option, especially if 'auto sleep' is selected)

Sam, thanks for advice abour Amazon, but still trying to understand the spec I need.

Thanks Chris, not sure I want to pay that just to get auto power sensing.
Rich

I have a sound bar, on one of my TV`s it runs through the "ear piece" and the volume is controlled by the remote, when the TV is turned off the sound bar is muted. For total power shut down you could use a remote controlled socket. That could totally shut down the TV and Soundbar so there is not even any standby consumption.

You can get the soundbar and remote socket/plug for less than £180.00
Obviously there are more expensive, but the budget is your choice.

Thanks Chris, not sure I want to pay that just to het auto power sensing.
Rich
Which is exactly why I hinted that it would be expensive so you didn't waste time chasing it.

Anyway, if you absolutely must have auto off then the soundbar might be your only answer. Personally I think the thin ones with no subwoofer are a bit of a waste of time. The speakers are too small to produce any midrange or bass. As chief engineer Montgomery Scott said to a certain Captain Kirk "Ye cannae change the laws of physics" :mrgreen:

LOL... thanks Chris.
But would they really be any worse than the small built-in Sony TV speakers? (it's only a 22" TV)

Thanks Alarm, I may have to take that route.

Does anyone know anything about those socket arrays that have a Master socket, and Slave sockets? I think the slave sockets switch off if no current is sensed in the master socket circuit, is this correct? If so what are they called so that I can 'google them'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back