dry cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
as some of you will recall I took the head of my Vauxhall meriva and changed the timing chain ive put new air filter on and im ready to drop the oil however ive only had the car up and running a few days in which it was used for a 1 mile run and a 12 mile run to college today in which all students came to look at the engine and check its engine management system as we are all auto electrical student one of the students pulled of the oil filler and said the cams were dry of oil and the was no sign of oil in the head we turned the car off and waited then dipped the sump in which it had plenty. ive driven home with the car 12 mile and rechecked the cams the lobes were hot and dry wit a little mayo on the cap(as always with this car)
I presume the cams should be oil coated and how can I improve oil flow to the head, were are the blockages most likely as the head has been skimmed and cleaned
cheers
terry

Sponsored Links
The cam must be flooded with oil Terry or it's life will be strictly limited....the oil passes from the oil pump through a gallery up to the head, passing through the head gasket as it does so.
Popular places to block are in the head drillings themselves, but there could be an oil spray bar which directs oil onto the cam lobes - I'm not sure. The other method is for oil to pass along drillings in the cam itself.
The original FWD Cavalier was notorious for knocking its cams out, as the old timers will recall.
John :)

ill go on a mission with it after college tomorra should I try that engine flush stuff first to remove blockages or am I better off being armed with wire to probe gallaries.
when I refitted cams I dint notice gallery locations but I do know their isn't gallery within the bottom shells as I looked for them and manually oiled the shells on refit.
I think the main galleries are to the left of the engine I don't recall seeing anything to spray oil over the cam lobes and shells, are there oil ports between the cam lobes to spray in either direction or anything like that, that you know of
just so you know its the meriva z14xep engine used in corsa's
thanks

I wouldn't bother with the oil flush, Terry......it's more important than that.
It sounds like the oil is supplied to the cam from the left of the engine, and the oil travels along the cam, running out at the bearing locations and at the lobes themselves.....perfectly normal, this one.
Personally I think you have to remove the cam, and see that oil is present at the main delivery hole, left side. I'd then use compressed air to check that any drillings in the cam are clear.
It's possible that the drilling that allows oil through the cylinder head area was blocked with crap, especially if the block face needed scraping clean.....as the cylinder head was skimmed you would hope that any oil ways were blown clear afterwards.
What an absolute ****er this is! With the rocker cover off and the engine running, there should be oil splashing out everywhere and you'd get soaked.
John :)

Sponsored Links
A bit of a long shot, have a wee look at the old gasket, can you put it on upside down? Leaving the gasket blocking the oil hole?

No oil on the cam = excessive wear, so don't be driving it until sorted.

Back