Dry verge causing streaks on render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dry verge on a gable end which is rendered white. Where the dry verges join to each other it is causing a streak on the render (see attached picture). The odd thing is that I have 3 gable ends and it only seems to happen on one of the gables. From what I know the dry verges is just a simple click type installation and its not a complicated install so I don't think there is much to get wrong or change from an installation perspective?

Anyone know why the dry verges would streak in some places but not others? Is there anything that can be tweaked on changed about the installation of the verges to prevent this?

There is some moss/algae on the roof which I suspect is where the green colour is coming from in the streaks. Is there any merit in cleaning the roof and removing the moss/algae? I know its not a long term solution and isn't going to solve the underlying problem of the dry verge joints streaking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6499.JPG
    IMG_6499.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 992
Sponsored Links
The prevailing wind is blowing rain to the back of the verge, and its dripping out on every joint. Thats the cause, I dont know the answer with those horrible things though.

Agreed it doesn't look nice at all, like the woodster says the wind is just blowing against those verges. Why don't you go back to a nice proper mortared verge? I mean, dry verge is a bit council house sorry!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and the info about the wind. The other two gable ends are slightly higher but on the same side of the house - so why wouldn't it impact them? I spoke to a roofer friend of mine and he said it could be to do with the angle the verge is against the wall. ie. water is going inside the verge and instead of running down the verges and into the gutter it is running towards the wall. If it was leaning the other way - water would stay in the verge until in reached the gutter. Hard to explain in words but does that make sense?

Is it possible to switch to a continuous dry verge (i.e. a straight swap)?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back