Dry Verge - Klober v Marley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would appreciate some help on these two points for a retrofit.

For a Marley Modern tiled roof there are the single tile type of close fitting Marley verge units but depending on your view the Klober ones do seem a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Is there any important differences between the two, ie does the trade find one better than the other to use / long term ?

Also while the top edge of both types cover the top of the tile equally, the bottom edge does not sit on the barge board, the Marley by about 10mm off and the Klober by about 20mm off.
(old mortar removed)

Does this gap pose any problem eg wind or rain ?

Sponsored Links
I would always choose marley over klober as i consider marley to be superior quality as well as better engineered.

Having said that plastic verge either continuous or segmental will not outlast a traditional wet verge.

Having said that plastic verge either continuous or segmental will not outlast a traditional wet verge.

Really ?? - I thought that was the whole point of the segmental dry verges.
So you are saying not so.. is that more from wind damage or plastic degradation / discolouring ?

Must confess my original old fashioned thoughts were to repoint, but it seems the more fashionable thing to fit the plastics, which the literature says is so much better is so much better than mortar.

When I last repointed I did so with sharp sand and some pva in the mix which seems to have lasted but has now cracked in places.

Would have thought these days there was a much more elastic substance we could have used to repoint with...

Well you have really left me confused now as which way to go :confused:

I suppose, if you keep patching up a wet verge with new mortar after the previous lot cracked and fell out, it will last a long time.

I haven't seen it last a long time left to itself.

Sponsored Links
My own home has wet verges 56yrs old and still sitting pretty.

I doubt the same could be said for plastic fittings even after half that time.

i doubt anyone would be looking at dry verge if their old wet ones hadn't fallen out.

As said, wet verges are more preferable, its best to raise the tiles, remove existing and apply a good full bed of mortar pressing the tile down and point up.

Over pointing on the existing doesn't last long.

Hi,

Good points, and thinking more towards wet than dry now.

Seems 3:1 with a bit of pva or sbc is the way to go ..? - but which sand, soft or sharp or a mix ?
Used sharp on my verge and its lasted much longer than neighbours soft sand verges.

Just to change things even more found this stuff on the web - sounds great ..??
http://www.flexipoint.co.uk/
Never heard of it before and seems its only from them which makes me wonder how good it is if the trade roofing suppliers are not stocking it a.

Never heard of it!

As far as i'm concerned if you point over rubbish it wont last long.

Id steer clear of flexipoint ! Its not even cost effective! The amount of dry verge systems weve replaced over the years is ridiculous, For a product they call maintenace free! If you strip your verge off and re- bed in a decent 3-1 mix it ll see you out more than likely. If thats the road you take dont by b&q or ridgeons sand . Travis perkins or jewson sell one of the nicest on the market.

A mix of plastering sand and building sand should be fine, add a splash of sbr, option of a handful of glass fibre strands for a bit more added strength.

Even searching this forum for verge mortar mixes you get every possible combination of building or sharp sand only or every possible mix ratio of the two !

However Plastering Sand is a new one to me, believe it is is graded mix of sharp and building sand ?
Would you suggest I use a 50/50 mix of both types of sand ?
Will give the GFS a try as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:57 pm Post Subject:
If thats the road you take dont by b&q or ridgeons sand . Travis perkins or jewson sell one of the nicest on the market.

Know what you mean, bought a bag of sharp from bq the other month, never seen such peculiar looking stuff, just used it on the garden instead of concrete.
Will do as you suggest and use Jewsons or TP

One final question if I may, when lifting the tiles ( 30 years old) should the alum verge clips be replaced, either though necessity or prudence ?

Sharp sands more structural and crack resistant. Soft sand with a 3-1 mix is more than suffice for a verge aslong as bedded well. As for your verge clips, their usually specified by an by regs due to wind sog. So if your in a windy area use them. Be prepared to curse and swear though :p.

Hi,

Good points, and thinking more towards wet than dry now.

Seems 3:1 with a bit of pva or sbc is the way to go ..? - but which sand, soft or sharp or a mix ?
Used sharp on my verge and its lasted much longer than neighbours soft sand verges.

Just to change things even more found this stuff on the web - sounds great ..??
http://www.flexipoint.co.uk/
Never heard of it before and seems its only from them which makes me wonder how good it is if the trade roofing suppliers are not stocking it a.
They won't be stocking it as it will be to exspensive.There was something out the same 10 years a go, we only bought 1 tub as it was £60.The merchants were left with pallet full's of the stuff..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back