drylining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one tell me what is the difference with drylining and plasterboarding? My architect specified dryling to sloping roof in our new roofconversion. Why drylining instead of blasterboarding it?

Sponsored Links
drylining is when you screw / nail the boards to studwork or rafters..
plasterboarding is when you stick it to walls with adhesive..... i think... ;)

then again I could be wrong..

Sponsored Links
As Marsh has said, drylining is the opposite to wet plastering thus refers to fixing plasterboards directly to a masonry wall using adhesive.

"Plasterboarding" could mean the mechanical fixing of plasterboards to stud work AND refer to the adhesive method of fixing of boards to walls.

You need some clarification from the architect because the way i see it you would generally mechanically fix boards to a ceiling, whether it be sloping or not.

The thing about 'raked' or vaulted ceilings is the insulation/ventilation factor. You will need to be fitting 100-125mm of pir board insulation at this point and it will either be positioned between below or on top of the rafters depending upon design, i.e. warm or cold roof.

Your architect may have fixing issues regards the way this insulation is fixed and whether you integrate both insulation with the boards or indeed use a pre-insulated plasterboard.

Probably.:cool:

As Marsh has said, drylining is the opposite to wet plastering thus refers to fixing plasterboards directly to a masonry wall using adhesive.

"Plasterboarding" could mean the mechanical fixing of plasterboards to stud work AND refer to the adhesive method of fixing of boards to walls.

You need some clarification from the architect because the way i see it you would generally mechanically fix boards to a ceiling, whether it be sloping or not.

The thing about 'raked' or vaulted ceilings is the insulation/ventilation factor. You will need to be fitting 100-125mm of pir board insulation at this point and it will either be positioned between below or on top of the rafters depending upon design, i.e. warm or cold roof.

Your architect may have fixing issues regards the way this insulation is fixed and whether you integrate both insulation with the boards or indeed use a pre-insulated plasterboard.

Hi thanks for your input ,not familiar with all these different boards ,is PIR board drylining board?

The drawing states 90/30 celotex in rafter (between rafters)and then drylining the sloping ceiling.We are thinking of using exortherm which is not as expensive as celotex.May be 100 mm or more for maximum insulation.

Probably.:cool:

Ok, so your architect is speccing 90mm betwixt with 30mm underdraw (across or below the rafters), make sense. There is no reason why the plasterboards can't be mechanically fixed.

Ok, so your architect is speccing 90mm betwixt with 30mm underdraw (across or below the rafters), make sense. There is no reason why the plasterboards can't be mechanically fixed.

So if we dryline over the rafters can the drylining be skimmed over?and what is the advantage of drylining instead of plasterboading?

I'm a bit confused here. The way I read this spec is that you fit 90mm cellotex/kingspan insulation between the rafters (which I'm guessing are 150mm deep, thus allowing an airflow of at least 50mm between the insulation and the felt/tiles), and overboard this with 30mm cellotex/kingspan which may be pre-glued to the plasterboard surface. Either way, this plasterboard will need screwing into the rafters, and can be skim plastered anyway, unless your architect is saying that the weight on the rafters will be too great, and is allowing for taper edge board going up with a joint skim.

The advantage of using plasterboard with insulation already adhered to it is that you get the whoe thing up in one go, rather than mechanicalle fixing the insulation first and adding the plasterboard on top.

However, I expect to be completely ridiculed in my analysis of the situation. :confused:

So if we dryline over the rafters can the drylining be skimmed over?and what is the advantage of drylining instead of plasterboading?

plasterboard IS drylining.. I thought we covered this?
it's the use of plasterboard where wet plastering would have been used..
this may be by adhesion to a brick or block wall, or by nailing or screwing to stud walls where lath and wet plastering would have been used before..

bit late really
Your back then :LOL: ; have a good time? I'm just counting down for the off on Monday. ;)

Nothing better to do before then except finish off a 1/2 cut hedge & it's raining at the moment. Didn’t book anything in as I expected to be installing a new stove & finish off the last wall this week but I'm still waiting for the bloody thing to be delivered (lying bsatrds :evil: ); just hope they get it here before I leave.

I'm a bit confused here. The way I read this spec is that you fit 90mm cellotex/kingspan insulation between the rafters (which I'm guessing are 150mm deep, thus allowing an airflow of at least 50mm between the insulation and the felt/tiles), and overboard this with 30mm cellotex/kingspan which may be pre-glued to the plasterboard surface. Either way, this plasterboard will need screwing into the rafters, and can be skim plastered anyway, unless your architect is saying that the weight on the rafters will be too great, and is allowing for taper edge board going up with a joint skim.

The advantage of using plasterboard with insulation already adhered to it is that you get the whoe thing up in one go, rather than mechanicalle fixing the insulation first and adding the plasterboard on top.

However, I expect to be completely ridiculed in my analysis of the situation. :confused:

Is there a cheaper obtion than using celotex preglued to plasterboard ,say using exortherm 100mm deep between the rafters with 50mm airspace then drylining and skimming over?Getting similar insulation without the higher cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back