dual appliance wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys . Replacing a double built in oven with a combi oven microwave total rate 3.6kw. And a pyrolytic single oven rated 3.65. I know the single outlet would need changed for a dual cooker outlet . The old cable is rated at 6mm. Its connected to a cu containing a 32 rdc . Would a 16a breaker be sufficient for running both from the box.
I haven't picked up appliances yet but they mention flex length. But they are getting hardwired .safer

Sponsored Links
I think you are confused about a couple of things.

You say
The old cable is rated at 6mm
The cable's SIZE is 6mm. The RATING (current carrying capacity) of the cable will depend on the installation method and other factors.

Its connected to a cu containing a 32 rdc
I think that you mean a 32amp MCB (what's an rdc?)

The 32A MCB is there in the consumer unit to protect the CABLE, so that if there is a fault that is larger than the cable can handle, the MCB will trip before the cable melts.

Under normal conditions a 32A MCB is correct for a 6mm cable. Why would you want to derate the MCB to 16amps? It makes no sense.
In any event, each of those ovens would need a 16A feed and you will have two ovens............ So leave the circuit (and its 32A MCB) just as it is. All you need to do is to install a dual appliance connector.

I haven't picked up appliances yet but they mention flex length. But they are getting hardwired .safer
Sorry, i do not understand.

Last edited:
Hi guys . Replacing a double built in oven with a combi oven microwave total rate 3.6kw. And a pyrolytic single oven rated 3.65. I know the single outlet would need changed for a dual cooker outlet . The old cable is rated at 6mm. Its connected to a cu containing a 32 rdc . Would a 16a breaker be sufficient for running both from the box.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for confusion. I ment the cable is 6mm . I did mean the rcd is 32. Its on a cu that can take breakers it is an additional to the fused one till its changed. In that unit it has a 32rcd and a 6 for shower. Cooker one wasnt installed but wiring is there ( had gas). Both devices are bosh.

I read the instructions. They say its supplied with a flex but this must be changed. And fused at 16a. And a l or b circuit breaker. Would the 16 a do both from the dual plate or they better separate and two independent breakers

Last edited:
Sorry for confusion. I ment the cable is 6mm . I did mean the rcd is 32. Its on a cu that can take breakers it is an additional to the fused one till its changed. In that unit it has a 32rcd and a 6 for shower. Cooker one wasnt installed but wiring is there ( had gas). Both devices are bosh.

I am getting more and more confused.
RCD is 32????
6 for shower, 6 what? apples?

This cooker circuit.
It exists yes?
To what is it connected. Is it to this second cu?

What do you mean both devices are bosh?

Please reply in plain english. Read what you are posting before sending. Maybe then I/someone can assist you but I dont have the time or patience to translate G1zm0 text into English.

Looking at the specs they say flex length. Till I get them I can't tell if they have flex on them. If both were to run of plug top they would need 15a fuses. And wouldn't be good for the outlets

Further to this. You cannot plug these ovens in. There are no plugs with 15amp fuses.
The ovens will not have any cable attached to them. You'll need to supply the specified cable and connect the ovens to the dual appliance connector.

My cu setup is a fixed fuse wire box. When the old Tennant had shower installed they put another cu in for breakers. In this cu it has a 32 rcd and a 6 mcb for shower. The old cooker cable is not connected to anything as it was taken out in favour of gas. In the instructions it says it is supplied with flex that needs replaced and a 16a fuse that comes of cu

My cu setup is a fixed fuse wire box. When the old Tennant had shower installed they put another cu in for breakers. In this cu it has a 32 rcd and a 6 mcb for shower. The old cooker cable is not connected to anything as it was taken out in favour of gas. In the instructions it says it is supplied with flex that needs replaced and a 16a fuse that comes of cu

It sounds like you have a second CU installed for the shower, containing a 32A double-pole RCD and 6A MCB.

If it really IS a 6A MCB for a shower then it cannot be an electrically heated shower. Is it a power shower (water fed from hot water tank but with a pump to boost the pressure)?

If that is the case, then it is possible you could have a new 32A MCB installed in that CU to feed the ovens via the existing cooker cable and a dual outlet plate as described above. I'd swap the 32A RCD for a 63A one at the same time. This would be notifiable work so your best bet is to get an electrician in to check the details and give you a quote.

PS: we like photo's. A photograph of this CU with RCD and MCB would help.

Last edited:
The old cooker cable is not connected to anything as it was taken out in favour of gas.
OK. So now you have a 6mm cable that is not connected to anything?
Where did you plan to connect that to, the consumer unit? Is there a spare space for another MCB?

NOTE: what you are doing is notifiable work as it is effectively a new circuit. You will need to contact your local authority - BEFORE YOU START - and they will want to inspect your work. You will need to test the existing cable for continutiy and insulation resistance and check EFLI. If you do not know how to do this, you will need a registered elecrtician who can sort it out for you and do the necessary LEGAL paperwork.

... In the instructions it says it is supplied with flex that needs replaced and a 16a fuse that comes of cu

Why would the cooker be supplied with a flex which needs changing by the consumer? Makes NO sense at all!

Yes its a digital shower that runs of the.6 mcb. Going to get cu changed in a month when the spark doing it is free and check cabling . So new 32 mcb and 63a rcd it is. For the 7.5 load. Is the 6 mm cable ok . Might get him to renew it since its not been used .

I take it since its two devices at 16a then its doubled up to 32 for running both or one at a time

... In the instructions it says it is supplied with flex that needs replaced and a 16a fuse that comes of cu

Why would the cooker be supplied with a flex which needs changing by the consumer? Makes NO sense at all!

That's what it says see pic. See second pic .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-19-23-16-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-19-23-16-29.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_2016-06-10-09-58-54.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-10-09-58-54.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 159
What should I expect to pay for my spark to install/ test it the oven connections ect . Hes charging 250 for cu change over and testing.

No I don't have test equipment. Just a multi meter. As I know electricity kills and not to be messed with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back