Dual flush push button toilet syphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My close coupled toilet cistern leaks gradually into the toilet bowl. When water reaches a certain level it fills up again, often during the night!

I suspect the rubber seal is knackered where the "lock gate" closes at the bottom and I need to de-couple the flush unit from the outlet fitting at the bottom of the tank and maybe get a replacement. There's no name on it. Some write-ups mention a bayonet fitting which can be released by a twist of the hand. On mine there seems to be a blue tab with + and - on it which slides to the right and left as though it releases something.

I don't want to use brute force but does anyone out there know how to separate the two parts?

Sponsored Links
You need a new push button syphon, the cistern will need to be removed from the toilet pan.

I always carry spare ones in the van.

You may be able to change the rubber washer in the cistern, but normally a new syphon would be quicker to do than try and find what washer to buy.

Try posting a picture of your syphon.

Andy

After more searches on the web I've discovered that the make of the syphon is GEBERIT and it's used on my Villeroy Boch WC. It seems that it's a common fault and caused by blistering on the sealing ring where the "lock gate" opens. All that needs to be done to detach the syphon from the tank is to (drain the tank first) press the two clips on the opposite sides. These clips are about half way down the syphon and they are about an inch and three quarters long. They can be seen easily but you've got to be a contortionist to get at them. You simply squeeze them against the body of the syphon and hey presto it lifts off. No need to remove the cistern or the lower part of the syphon.
The blisters create small gaps that release drops of water slowly. I punctured the blisters with a needle and replaced the seal and the syphon. There's now a drip every 12-15 seconds but I'm hoping it won't be enough to cause re-cycling.

Hope this is helpful to others who have experienced the same problem.

Sponsored Links
If you do replace the seal you'll more likely find this is the seal part n0 816.418.00.1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back