Duct grade cable in guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is ok to lay duct grade cable in guttering? Would make installing my new camera very easy.

Any downside to the guttering method?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Won't block guttering? Duct grade is water resistant not waterproof. If dropped in a gutter then I would say it may be submerged a lot of the time.

Sponsored Links
Ducting grade cable will befine,but not good practise to put cables in guttering as could cause a blockage.The cable is water proof as spends most of its time in water in ductings.
The PE outer jacket offers UV protection and resistance to water ingress.

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm thinking the only problem could occur when the guttering is cleaned and the cable could possibly be damaged. It's worth the risk on ones own house though imo.

Leaves in the autumn will cause blockages, never mind all the dirt that gets washed off the roof tiles every time it rains. You never looked in your gutters?

Well I could rant on about the difference between water resistant and waterproof but in all honesty the cable will probably outlast the camera system anyway.

I was thinking more about the guttering getting blocked, overflowing and the damage that could be caused, it always seems to happen in the dark or overgrown corners so it's not noticed until it's too late.

Can't you just run it on the gutter clips?
That way the guttering supports the cable but not in the water bearing part

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back